HybridZ

Which one: inline vs. V engine

RacerX

Guest Anonymous

If money were no object? Buick GN Turbo stage II V6 , no question. Light, ghastly powerful and its a very compact engine compared to the inliners. I'm a bit biased to, I have a 350 V8 in mine so I do tend to like V's.

Regards,

Lone

If i could find a large displacement v6 4 valve engine i would go for that. Providing i was starting form the begining. It would have to make an easy 400 flywheel hp and not be boosted. I dont think one exists so i will stick to the small block chev. There is a co in the UK called TVR that has a 4 lt 380hp straight 6. This would be fun but i really want the weight as back as far as i can get it.

Douglas

Cost is always a factor with 90% of people, so a 500 hp Donovan aluminum block 355 with twin cam heads and EFI is not an option.

The Chevy 350 makes great power, great torque, responds well to mofication, and is relatively inexpensive. Combine this with a fabulous aftermarket and the way it ever so nicely fits in the Z's engine bay, and viola--tire smoke for days. I am biased because I have a N/A V8.

Preference is an individual thing and I am limited by $$$ for the time being. If you are not, go for something new. But beware, because even with outstanding technology, someone with a 'low-tech' BBC Zcar will blow you away in the weeds. When my car is finished, I plan to win most races I am in, but I'm prepared to lose because there is always someone faster.

Davy

if i could do it again, the only thing smaller than an 8 i would consider is the gnx motor

my dream z is a street version of ron jones

over all i would go with domestic motors, they are cheaper to build for power and easier to replace should something happen, i were somewhere else where skyline motors and the such were very abundant, who knows?

3.8 or a 454 cammed out, next choice only the general knows.

Inline 6 Turbos or V8s in my oppion, i havn't decided which one i want, i don't really like V6s only becuase of the sound they make, not my cup of tea, i prefer the roar of a V8, or the tone of a inline 6 n/A or turbo. meaning Rb26dett or LS1 is what i am talking about.

Probably an LS6 (the C5 motor, not the old Chevelle big block).

I deal with high tech all day at work. I don't want to have to deal with an engine on the edge of destruction because I turned up the boost a bit more and a piece of dirt clogged something and toasted the motor.

NA cubes for me anyday.

The LS1/LS6 is the new V8 on the block for hot rodding, IMO. It's one hell of a design with tons of room to make efficient power with low weight and not a ton of complexity, and the probability of a highly tractable, high horsepower, super broad torque band makes me drool.

So I'd stay V8, but go for 90s technology instead of 50s and 60s tech icon_biggrin.gif .

But that GN motor is sure enticing!

the gn motor is the ONLY one that would bring me out of my carb setups. theres something so right about that v8 carb setup to me. turbo to me is something only done right with fi, and i would take the leap in a heartbeat if i could.

well i'd have to say the inline 6 motor they just won't die i beat the crap out of mine and it still ran great.I'm rebuilding it for more power and it's not hard to get alot of the L6 motors look at mine i only put like 1k in mine including the engine which is an 81zxt engine and it haulls a$$.But then i'm bias too.but in the thinking of wear of the engines you can figure that the L6 engine will have less wear because of the gravity not pushing on just one side of the piston all the time like V8's and V6's.Go with what you like that's what we do icon_biggrin.gif If i was to do it again i wouldn't change a thing i love my turbo inline six icon_smile.gif

Guest Tom Scala

When I bought my Z it was with the intention of putting a V8 in it. Beacause it was quicker & easier to do I've got the L28ET now but would like a 400"SBC for my dream car. Carb isn't a 4 letter word to me and I like the any gear any time grunt you can only get with big cubes.

My intent with my Z was to through a V-8 in the sucker, but then my buddy who's into Buicks, said he will sell me a '87 GN engine and tranny for $1k for my 240Z. Couldn't pass up a deal like that! Not to mention having one hell of a sleeper sounds pretty cool to me. Another plus is it's more quiet than a V-8, that is IF it's muffled right (not an attention get'r, keeps the cops happy).

!M!

Again? If I did it again I'd seriously consider the Supra straight 6. There's a Z on E-Bay now with one but it's just a bit too pricey I'm afraid but well worth the $15K+ it's at now. icon_eek.gif

Anyway, I like forced induction motors. The V8 is torquey as all heck and I love it but EFI is much more drivable and I like the turbo whine. Barring the Supra 6 I'd consider the GN motor but the auto "requirement" would be a bummer as would the low redline. The L6 Turbo is an option but that might not meet my power thirst. It would have to be something fun too. I dunno' - I don't regret my V8 but the rush of a turbo coming on boost is pretty exciting. I've now bought a supra and the power curve, while not the most useful (lol), is certainly fun! Maybe a V8 with nitrous? Once my drivetrain is more bulletproofed I'll consider that and I'm converting to EFI slowly but surely so maybe the best of both worlds?

Yeah, rambling but now that I've done a V8 I'm almost tempted to try something "different". Sad huh? icon_wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

in my case and i'm sure many others aswell is always the $$$$$$$. to get the power from an inline six that will compete with a nice v8 your looking at some serious dough. as stated earlier crate motors are getting cheaper all the time and are coming with warranties. that is hard to over look for me. i'll give the guys who run the high hp 6s the credit thats due, but at what cost did it come at. for under 3000 beans you can have a pretty nasty motor for the light weight z's. what i mean by that is in a 2500lb z 300hp is equal to 400+ in a camaro or muskrat. the v8 engines are cheap, easily modified, and have great parts avalibility. cost to repair them is usually cheaper aswell. for a drive train swap into a z just about any american full size truck or car is a potential sorce. your talking about millions of vehicles right there. thats just my opinion about it though 2thumbs.gif

quote:

Originally posted by RacerX:

There was an article in Sport Z magazine (I think) that had a writeup on a 500+RWHP Z31. It sported the VG33E SOHC V6 with a turbo. The car is based in Los Angeles. I'll have to look thru my mags and see if I can find the article - it was nicely done and offered another engine alternative for an early Zcar.

RacerX

I think you're talking about Pete Mitchell's two-tone Z? The body is painted in silver but roof in black, am I right? He has one doooope motor but it would be really, really hard for someone to bite that. The coolant passageways were ported for better flow and oil squirters had to be machined to cool the pistons not to mention the boring and headwork that was done. Sweet results but a very very expensive project indeed.

About the main question: how about blending the best of both worlds? A lightweight all-aluminum DOHC V8 with high-flow heads and slap on a big T-78 turbo. I hope all the pushrod guys don't throw any tantrums, but I'm just so used to DOHC V8's. So far I've experienced 4: BMW 540i, Lexus GS430, SC400 and my own Q45. All are splendid motors that combine decent low-end grunt with valve-timing.

Guest Anonymous

The Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac/Rover alloy V8 is like you say very light. I think it runs in the 330 lb area.

How about this for a light V8 Z, a TOYOTA hemi! This is supposed to be REAL light like 250 lbs or so. I hadn't even seen one before, I saw this article in one of the roadster magazines. I havn't found (just quickly looking) a picture on the net, but maybe I'll scan it in, its pictured in a street rod, but a sweet looking motor. I think the displacement is between 3.x - 4.x depending on the year.

As far as I know its a Japanese spec motor that was used in one of they're big (?) limo's and larger sedan's. Few if any ever made it here, although our Aussie friends probably have better access to it than we do. It looks like the heads are off of the smaller 4 cyl hemi head I've seen on a toyota here stateside.

Regards,

Lone

Lone,

You're probably talking about the all-alloy V12 that came in the Toyota Century's. I think they're 6 liters. By the looks of the motor, it'd be nearly impossible to cram in the Z, well at least not practically anyway. The Century's only came out in Japan and maybe Aus. They are physically HUGE, you could almost fit a Z under it's hood. These cars are the equivalent of a Rolls Royce in Japan and the fact that Toyota/Lexus has been making the smoothest, quietest engines lately indicates that this motor is probably one silky-smooth mutha.

Are the ford 4.6's really THAT heavy? 600 lbs. is quite a bit of heft, doesn't a BBC weigh about the same?? IMO for the displacement, the 4.6L isn't one of the best examples of a DOHC if it weighs that much and only puts out 265horses and 305 lb./ft. The Lexus GS430 is only 4.3L, but weighs 150 lbs less, makes 50 more horsepower and 12 lb/ft more torque and has a much more desirable power curve. Add a chip and you're good for 330 horses and 330 lb./ft.

In the earlier post, I made a statement about preferring DOHC's over pushrod engines but I hope noone takes it personally. Both types have their pro's and con's, but if you asked me to chose between the BMW 5L V8 and a ZO6 engine, I'd have to take the M5 motor.

Guest Anonymous

Nah, its a V8, I've seen it in a Track-T roadster. Its in the march addition of Street Rodder magazine (page 190).

The motor number is a Toyota 5VEU 3.9 litre Hemi V8. It was built from 1962 to 1998 and used in the Century Limosine and Crown sedans. It had displacements ranging from 2.6 to 3.9 litres.

This was the first I'd even seen of the motor, although I don't go looking for non-domestic V8's.

Regards,

Lone