HybridZ

140 amp alternator

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm changing from an external regulator alternator to an internal regulator 140 amp Cadilac model.

My questions are:

#1 "How are those CS Cadilac alternators triggered to put out juice?

Does the computer do it?

Or is it internally triggered like a one wire alternator?

I'd like to know what I have to do to use this alternator. I'm getting conflicting advise locally from two people That I value both their opinions. I'd appreciate some help on this one. icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

It's not for either of my Z's. It's for my 1969 panel truck that may one day have an air bag suspension with on board compressors and hopefully a K.A. stereo system some day.

Search on the forums here for the CS alternator stuff. I've posted some stuff about it here before. But to answer your question, you need to trigger the thing with a signal. I used a lead from the battery with a 12V lamp in series to the center small prong on the connector. That's the field energize terminal.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by dewzenol:

On that note, does anyone know of a GM vehicle that has a high current alternator I can scavenge for my LT1 Z?

You should be able to have your Lt1 case rebuilt with a high amperage winding/setup. Standard chevy cases can be easily done and I'd assume yours could as well. Depending on the size of your case your local rebuilder can build it for some very respectable amps. Local large builder I checked out can do up to 200A's and above.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by dewzenol:

On that note, does anyone know of a GM vehicle that has a high current alternator I can scavenge for my LT1 Z?

The stock LT1 alternator is 140amps...at least the ones on my 94 Z28 and 97 Camaro SS are. You might check some of the cop car Caprice alternators, they may be higher amp versions. b_hand.gif