HybridZ

Engine Building Secrets??

clint78z

I would like to start a thread giving engine building secrets. I don't know that many but I am alway willing to learn.

Heres a couple I know

1) Magnuflux rods to check for cracks, removing casting marks, and shot peen for strength.

2) Smooth rough casting in oil pan area, some builders paint this area

3) Retap all holes and light oil before installing bolts.

4) Chamfer all drain, and oil galleries

5)Properly gap all rings.

6) Use plastic guage on bearings to ensure proper clearance and torqing.

7) Radius sharp edges in combustion chamber to reduce detonation.

8) When porting heads, focus on the 90 degree turn and making it smooth.

Perhaps others have some good tips, I am not really clear on the dynamic balancing procedure.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah if they posted it here, they'd probably have to kill us... :D

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Sorry just being a clown, its a good idea for a topic...

Guest Tim78zt

I liked the idea of using a deck plate when the cylinders are bored out to be sure they are true. I wonder how many builders have a plate for a L6?

Tim78zt

Guest Anonymous

Some one told me that the NASCAR engine shops use torque plates and hone each cylinder to fit each piston, now here's the kicker I was told by a guy that worked for Yates that they even pump 200 + degree water through the block to get it up to actual operating temperature so the cylinders will be more round than if they did it at room temperature. They feel that the cylinders distort when they reach operating temp. He said they try to have the block at operating temperature when performing any machine operation. Maybe that is the secret to running WFO at or near 8000 rpms for several hours with out failure.

buy these FIVE books, it will be the best money you ever spent, read them, and you will be miles ahead of the average guy.

HOW TO BUILD THE SMALL BLOCK CHEVEROLET by LARRY ATHERTON&LARRY SCHREIB

HOW TO BUILD MAX PERFORMANCE CHEVY SMALL BLOCKS ON A BUDGET by DAVID VIZARD

JOHN LINGENFELTER on modifying small-block chevy engines

how to build & modify CHEVROLET small-block V-8 CAMSHAFTS & VALVTRAINS BY DAVID VIZARD

SMOKEY YUNICK,S POWER SECRETSby SMOKEY YUNICK

Thanks Grumpy I already have Smokey's book, probably should reread I was 16 last time I read it. Would be nice if there was a book focused on the inline six and turbo, even BMW info would be decent. Seems like turbo cam info and combustion chamber design is hard to find.

Probably get some ARP bolts & head studs later on, mabey barrier coating on pistons & chambers. If want a revver I will go get a harmonic balancer like John C. One thing I have been looking at is trying to install oil squirters to cool the bottoms of the pistons & possibly designing a crank girdle.

Don Potter has been honing L series Z motors for years with water circulating thru at temperature. He'd also leave the torque plate bolted up for 4 days before he did the final hone because he claimed cast iron had a little creep to it. His torque plate also wasn't just a plate like commercial ones, it had all kinds of goofy contours to exactly simulate a cylinder head.

The secret to building a good engine is there is no secret. Its the financial commitment (the right skills with enough time) to hold the tolerances. Engines require amazing precision for longevity and power (less friction, less intertia going the wrong way, less power robbing vibration, etc.).

The secret to the horsepower wars in racing will always remain a secret.

Don Potter has been honing L series Z motors for years with water circulating thru at temperature. He'd also leave the torque plate bolted up for 4 days before he did the final hone because he claimed cast iron had a little creep to it. His torque plate also wasn't just a plate like commercial ones, it had all kinds of goofy contours to exactly simulate a cylinder head.

The secret to building a good engine is there is no secret. Its the financial commitment (the right skills with enough time) to hold the tolerances. Engines require amazing precision for longevity and power (less friction, less intertia going the wrong way, less power robbing vibration, etc.).

The secret to the horsepower wars in racing will always remain a secret.