HybridZ

Need some clutch help...

It seems that the pilot bearing that I got with my clutch won't fit either the tranny input shaft or into the crank. Is it supposed to be a friction fit in one or the other or should it spin freely? I keep asking these questions because I'm too cheap to spring for an everything-you-need-to-know-about-350s book icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, looks like I can get it on the tranny input shaft with a few whacks of the palm, but it's a very tight friction fit... I know it has to go into the crank before the clutch goes together. Should it be a press fit into the crank and spin on the tranny shaft or vice versa, or should it spin freely between the two? Moly lube okay to use or is there something better?

I just installed a new clutch, T.O. bearing, pilot bearing and T5 Camaero trans on my sbc 350. The pilot bearing fits tightly into the flywheel. I tapped the pilot bearing into place using a socket that was about the same diameter as the pilot bearing. You could also use a tool to install the bearing, but I was too cheap so I used a socket. Start the pilot bearing into the hole in the flywheel so that it goes in evenly. Then tap it gently using the socket until it seats at the bottom of the hole in the flywheel. The input shaft should fit into the pilot bearing without having to apply a lot of force. When I installed the T5, the input shaft, once aligned, just slipped into the pilot bearing with no effort.

Guest Anonymous

Agree. Once the pilot bushing is pushed into the flywheel, you can mount the clutch and pressure plate using a clutch alignment tool. If you can't get the tool into the bushing (supposed to be the same size as a input shaft) then I'd say you have the wrong one, or the end of the input shaft is bunged up or something. Just a thought. It should slip in there firmly, but I wouldn't say loosely, it definitely should'nt require hammering on anything.

Regards,

Lone