HybridZ

r200 carrier swap

akhelihoon907

Fairly sure you could. The issue with swapping center though is matching whatever center you have with whatever axles you have. Very likely the 88 Shiro axles won't fit into the centre (the 88 shiro axles are actually very oddball if i remember correctly. Nothing else fits it). Also, the short nose VLSD centre requires axles that have the extra long stub on one side that spins the Viscous centre. Otherwise you will get no Limited slip action.

For S30 applications, I haven't seen anyone really use the VLSD short nose. Nothing adapts to the rear half shafts well. Plus the Viscous centres aren't really that great as far as the LSD goes. 
Best options are 

A) already setup R200 Longnose Clutch based 3.70 LSD diff (from 87-88 turbo 300zx). Roughly $700+

B) even better is the above, but swap in extra clutches so it holds more power 

C) OBX Helical centre (get the one meant for s13 cars that originally came with open diff).

D) Quality Quaife, Tomei, or OS Giken Diff.

Good luck

Well the non turbo z32 r200 half shafts are the same spline and almost the same length. They fit into the ss diff and reach the vlsd. The 88ss I believe is not the same as the early r200. I'm positive I can get away using them but I was just curious to see if it were possible to used the short nose carrier in the long nose because the half shafts are made for that carrier.