HybridZ

VIDEO CLIP L6 seizing clunking during start up

Rob L

OK so i got word back from my mechanic !!! he fixed the ignition problem ...but now on to whats causing the motor to fill up with fuel ......

The holley 4 barrel carb i have on there is dumping fuel directly into the intake but from under the throttle plates ...thats why i could not see any fuel going in when the fuel pump was on !!!

So thankgod my mechanic found the problem but he doesnt work with holleys ...hes used to SUs etc... So hes still trying to figure out whats causing that problem ,,,,maybe bad power valve?

But i should state i changed all fuel bowl gaskets and replaced the power valve ....so either my brand new power valve is shot or i screwed something up putting it back together ...not sure.

Its just a relief to finally find out the problem and now its time to figure out why the carb is just dumping fuel directly into the intake from UNDER the throttle plates......any ideaS?

Edited by theatriks

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably the float valve, either missing or stuck open, or the floats aren't floating, or they're bent.  If you hold the throttle blades open you'd probably see the fuel flowing.  Pretty basic fix and check. 

Idea - take the Holley apart and reset the critical settings.   There are probably more books and instructions and videos out there about Holleys than any other carburetor.  Might as well rebuild it while it's apart.

Ya i don't think my mechanic will take to long to fix it .....the reason i didnt want to open the throttle plates while the fuel pump was on is because i was so worried about adding more fuel to the engine....my inexperience shows....anyways i am happy  the problem was found and hopefully i can get the car back soon.

I have many Holley diagrams and books in front of me and I still can't see how fuel can pour in my intake from UNDER my throttle plates ...the bottom of the fuel bowls are above the throttle plates ...It must have been pouring above and I couldn't see it .