HybridZ

PLEASE HELP HELP HELP!!!

Guest Pegasus76

Guest Pegasus76

I have an 1985 nissan 300ZX and I was in a hurry to get somewhere and connected my battery WRONG. Pos. wire to neg. neg. wire to pos. I believe I fried something but the fuses underneath the steering wheel are fine. What should I look for in the fusible links? Headlights turn on by the motors do not work, Wipers do not work, Radio does not work, turning signal, etc. What is the problem someone help!

Not familiar with the 300s, but many newer cars have a couple of high amp fuses in the engine bay to protect from just such an accident. 40-60 amp range.....are those cool (if you have them).

Tim

Guest greimann

Any device that has a capacitor or semiconductor in it is potentially fried. These small devices are not tolerant to reverse voltage. frown.gif

Big dumb devices like relays, switches and lamps should be ok.

Sorry dude! :rolleyes:

Only way to tell is to start tracing along the wires with a volt meter to see where the juice stops flowing. Odd that something like the wipers wouldn't work. If they were turned off, then there should not have been any voltage on them in the first place. Plus hard to imagine anything short of an arc welder buring out a wiper motor.

My guess is first check the fuseable links. Second you might have had an arc occur in the switches. This could have fried the contacts causing an open circuit, or even welded the switches in the off postion making them inoperable.

All I can say is get a wiring diagram. Start at the battery and see if you have voltage. Then start working your way toward say the wiper motor checking every accessable contact for volts to ground. When you find a point with no voltage, then one of the problems is between that point and the last good point.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gprix1

Sounds like a nightmare. Man, I hope I never do that. Would be nice if you could install some kind of super-heavy-duty diode that can be used at or near the battery terminal to only allow current to go one way.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by OtakuZ:

I have an 1985 nissan 300ZX and I was in a hurry to get somewhere and connected my battery WRONG. Pos. wire to neg. neg. wire to pos. I believe I fried something but the fuses underneath the steering wheel are fine. What should I look for in the fusible links? Headlights turn on by the motors do not work, Wipers do not work, Radio does not work, turning signal, etc. What is the problem someone help!

I, uh, knew someone who did that exact same thing - once. And He, er yeah, he found that my er his, fusible link melted open and saved everything from certain death. I um he only had to change the one fusible link, the other was fine. That's why some of my car worked, some didn't. His car, his car...

Guest Anonymous

Yeah.....I did that to my 240SX and I had to replace the alternator. A friend of mine did it to his RX-7 and all he had to replace was a fuse.