HybridZ

Deep into yet another rear end clunk

wheelerz31

If you haven't found the thread that tells you step by step how to do the clutch upgrade you need to find it. I just did mine in accordance with the instructions. I recommend replacing ALL the round clutches with new ones.

I read this...

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/52029-adding-clutches-to-the-clsd-r200/page-1

and it wasnt clear weither 6 or 4 NEW clutches was recommended. There was also one post suggesting that replacing the original 2 clutches with 6 new ones resulted in a little over 60#. So I just wanted to make sure I understood what your experience was with your setup. I appreciate your recommendation and I'll go ahead and get a set of 6 new clutches.

I can see how my post could come across prickish and I'm sorry. Yeah, that's the best thread for figuring this out. I would, however, disagree with how tight he recommends making the diff in terms of pre-load. I've done 3 of these build-ups, and have found that low pre-load is good. When you put torque to the diff via the accellerator pedal, the ramps force the clutches together and it locks just fine even if starting from a low pre-load. I'm personally ok with an LSD that is open a good bit, especially since I still drive my car on the street, and if you plan to drive it on the street, a diff that is locking and unlocking is really annoying. When I did my first diff, I had to look at the FAQ post several times and write out the proper stack-up of the clutches and spring plates and draw pictures. The vocabulary was all new to me too. I will try to find my notes and shoot you the stack-up as a photo. There is certainly a possibility that due to clutch wear, tolerances will vary. My point is that the clutches are fairly cheap, and at least for me, time is the limiting resource in getting my car work done. I would recommend having 6 new clutches available so that if your LSD clamps down too tight, you can swap parts around to get the job done. And just go ahead and put 3 tubes of friction modifier in your diff before topping it off with oil. And dunk each disc in a tuperware of oil as you stack them up. I went ahead and attached a photo that shows the part number for shim material if you want to get any.

post-5903-0-27280500-1435029264_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-97883600-1435029281_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

I can see how my post could come across prickish and I'm sorry. Yeah, that's the best thread for figuring this out. I would, however, disagree with how tight he recommends making the diff in terms of pre-load. I've done 3 of these build-ups, and have found that low pre-load is good. When you put torque to the diff via the accellerator pedal, the ramps force the clutches together and it locks just fine even if starting from a low pre-load. I'm personally ok with an LSD that is open a good bit, especially since I still drive my car on the street, and if you plan to drive it on the street, a diff that is locking and unlocking is really annoying. When I did my first diff, I had to look at the FAQ post several times and write out the proper stack-up of the clutches and spring plates and draw pictures. The vocabulary was all new to me too. I will try to find my notes and shoot you the stack-up as a photo. There is certainly a possibility that due to clutch wear, tolerances will vary. My point is that the clutches are fairly cheap, and at least for me, time is the limiting resource in getting my car work done. I would recommend having 6 new clutches available so that if your LSD clamps down too tight, you can swap parts around to get the job done. And just go ahead and put 3 tubes of friction modifier in your diff before topping it off with oil. And dunk each disc in a tuperware of oil as you stack them up. I went ahead and attached a photo that shows the part number for shim material if you want to get any.

Hey, no worries and thank you for the follow up. I'm the kind of guy who likes to know more before going into a project than the professionals, so that tends to require asking a lot of questions. Only I try to do my research to keep them intelligent though :)

I definately agree with you that a moderate preload is preferable. I am looking at mostly street driving, so keeping it managable around corners would be best. I've ordered the 6 clutches and like you said it's best to have options to set it up right. My goal would be to set it up on the higher end of the factory spec and hopefully in the process it will help reduce some of the clunk I've been dealing with. I appreciate the field notes as well, amazed you actually found your hand drawn diagrams, thats impressive! I'm looking forward to getting it set up and I actually picked up some Penzoil 80W-90 gear oil which is supposedly the correct factory spec lubricant for the LSD. Hopefully it will all go well.