HybridZ

Venting front of hood

Synlubes

I have been reading the strings in this section about aero stuff etc. and have had this idea for some time and would like input!

1st, it`s an early model Z!

2nd, my idea was kinda set off after seeing these panels in the MSA catalog (pg.17 left bottom, Bomex frt. panels)(the one that expells air)

3nd, If I added some venting to the hood area just in frt of the radiator support member to exhaust air out the top side instead of having all that air go out under car, it seems this would work, or would it?

I don`t know how the air flows over the hood at this area, wheather it would let air exit or try to suck air in at these vents? Vents would NOT be NACA type, just some slits(or something) cut in across the hood area.

I have the 280 hood w/the vents and have made my own inspection lid vents, again tring to get as much air out of engine compartment and over top of car as possible, and will be adding some more venting to the hood (close to the back of hood, in between the stock vents) shortly!

The car is used for HPDS and track events so all these ideas are ment to work at speed, cooling engine compartment and tring to keep some of the air from going under car! I have an extension to the air dam to block air that`s used for track events to lessin the air going under car (at frt.)

I`m not an engineer, just have some ideas!

There was a wicked thread about this about a year ago. Try to find it. It has input from people who do this kind of thing for a living. Sorry cant remember any name. In the end you want the air exit in a low pressure area. Tape lots of peices of string all over your hood and drive at say 60 mph. Where the string is lifting up is a low pressure area. You could just save the trouble and make a hood like Terry O's.

Cheers

Douglas

Thanks ZROSSA,

The car is a track car not a street car, this is the kind of testing I need to do BUT can`t aford more tickets!!!

I went thru all threads in this section just last nite, I shuold of bookmark it! (always think of these things after the fact)!

HOW can I find threads from last year?

Yea, Terry`s car is sweet! Mine is not quite that modified!

Your right!!!

Get creative

I`m going to use the cowl panel(between hood and windshied)(the large center section) in bewteen the 2 stock vents in my hood for aditional venting!

I used the 2 smaller sections of that same panel for my inspection lid vents!

I ran the slits long way, they look quite nice even though the hood vents slits are different!

OK,

I went back in time and found some of the threads you may have been talking about!

" Last week I mentioned that an old Z racer I know had seen aero data for the 240Z that showed a low pressure area above the hood in the first several feet from the leading edge. I'm looking for any detailed info on that phenomenon for the 240Z that anyone might have - especially what the pressure profile along the hood is, and how it might vary across the width of the hood."

Can anybody varify this, I don`t want to add more air into this area?

Doug,

That wasnt the one I was thinking about but a good one never the less. I cant find it. You have got the idea anyway. It sound like the first couple of feet on the z are in low presure due to the lip forcing the air else where. This would imply that adding a little dam in this area really wouldnt help. What you need to do is seal the back of the radiator to the vent you make in this dead zone on the hood. The air the has to go there then. Air flow will speed up and your car will run cooler. Then you can think about limiting the amount of air you let in there in the first place.

Douglas

• 2 weeks later...

I am building a 76 280 with a Holley 4bbl. I needed hood clearance for the carb, since I added a 1" insulator block and a 1/2" NOS plate. Since the under hood supports on a Z are all peripheral, I cut the hood 4" from each side and 4" across the back. Then welded 1/8" rod around the openings and raised the hood 2" at the rear edge, and forward 16" from the back edge. Basically creating a cowl hood. I welded in diamond grating, to keep the punks from messing with my motor. It looks nasty, not on the road yet, but soon. Maybe some blue neon lights in the engine bay, just to keep my motor company.

Bill

The Porsche 911GT2 has vents just in front of the hood. I don't know if the pressure profile is similar to the Z though. If you can get nice laminar flow over the front of the hood and turbulent higher pressure air below the vent then the air will extract. Maybe a vortex generator below the vents will work.