HybridZ

infiniti Q45 In a 240z

Guest Anonymous

I'm trying to remember how much HP my Q makes...I think it is about 245 HP or so. Sweet engines, all aluminum, would probably fit too, although you may have to relocate the steering shaft a bit. I have heard that that 300ZX 5 speed will bolt up, but that is pure hearsay. All one has to do is to compare the bolt patterns of both trannys and check the input shafts.

All in all, a Chevy is cheaper, can take a tremendous amount of abuse, and can make more HP cheaply. Better bang for the buck IMO.

Davy

Guest Anonymous

there are questions to this particular swap that i'm trying to get some info on too and i've had very little luck.

apparently its been done but its a tight fit then there is the problem with the chain guides in the early engine plus i'd like to know what modification to do to get at least 350 hp from that engine without turbo.

folks were right it would be one sweet ride b_hand.gif

If the search function is working (you may have to search only one forum at a time) look up the info about a Q45 engine swap. There are links to Q45 racing (for HP) and maybe even a an engine bay pic or two of a Q45 240Z. It has been done and it works, but is it worth it? That would be my question. I can surely appreciate someone doing the swap to "keep is all Nissan" if that is the aim, but in terms of practicality and bang for the buck, the V8 Chevy swap has to be #1.

Davy

Guest Ian turbo240

I have done some pretty extensive research on this swap. The problem is that the engine will not fit in the Z engine bay without relocating all of the accessories. The alternator, P/S pump, and A/C compressor are all located beneath the cylinder banks. The makes the whole assembly about 29" wide. This is too wide to fit between the frame rails of a 1st gen Z. Also, the engine is too tall (also 29") from oil pan to intake manifold top. You will need to convert to dry sump and probably install a cowl hood for clearance. However, it would be a really cool engine if someone did it. In all my research, I have not found anyone who actually has one installed in a 1st gen Z. Look at my post a few weeks ago in this forum about search engine not working. There is some more info there.

Ian

the q45 motor would be good i think, trouble is, youre pretty much stuck at its stock hp and tq ratings unless you speak some really good japanese and your kanji reading ability is really good as well. ive heard of aftermarket cams, and other go fast equipment, but if youre thinking v8 and all alloy, theres plenty ls1 motors that would be around the same price and have way more hopup potential, but if youre going original, i guess thats it. i would run it with the auto, since 300zx tt trannies arent a dime a dozen, and use sds to keep things somewhat simple.

Guest Anonymous

Well that and it looks like someone screwed up and put its intake on sideways.. Huh Davy! :D

Just a little inside joke, I commented that very thing when Davy lifted the hood on his Q45, the runners are sort of a TPI but sideways. :D

Regards,

Lone

Ps: 29" is about about 3 7/8" or so give or take wider than the frame rails, question, is that measured across the heads or at the accesory drives on the bottom, the engine compartment is a bit wider at the top than the frame rails obviously, and they did put that lexus motor in one, its a 4 cammer, its wall to wall, but did fit although no one has seen a picture outside of that one thats floating around the sites and no one can seem to tell how much work was required to stuff it in there, pretty install though.

Guest Ian turbo240

That 29" measurment is the width of the accessories when mounted on the engine. Ironicly, the widest part of the heads is also 29", and I will fit between the shock towers. It's the accessories that are the problem. Oh, yeah, and the oil pan, intake manifold, and the fact that there is no manual trans on the planet that will bolt to it without an adaptor.

Ian

Guest Anonymous

Nuts, that kinda sucks. I suppose if a person was determined they could move accesories drives, they have to do that on like the LT1's in a Z or at least get creative with idle pulley's and removing like the A/C and stuff, but the transmission problem is a concern if a person doesn't want a automatic. Thats much wider than I would have thought. Thanks.

Regards,

Lone

Originally posted by Ian turbo240:

and the fact that there is no manual trans on the planet that will bolt to it without an adaptor.

Ian[/QB]

Have You tried yet? I have a vh45de in machine shop now beinng cleaned and milled for fresh rebuild and custom twin T25 or t3/t4 turbo exhaust manifold with Bov . I will be tring different Z-Tranny combination over the next couple of months. The combo will find its home in the bay of a 70 fairlady Z.

Later

Badzx

Badzx

Guest Ian turbo240

Actually, I have tried a Z32 tranny. The bellhousing was much too small in diameter. I am assuming that the Z31 bellhousing is the same or similar to the Z32 bellhousing. As far as I can tell, the VH45DE was never offered with a manual tranny. It was only used for one vehicle, the Q45 (called the Cigma or something like that in Japan). I wish someone would come up with some more info on this subject, because I'd love to have one in my 240Z. I actually considered moving the frame rails to the outter part of the wheel wells so that the VH45DE would fit with it's accessories bolted on in the stock locations. I think that this will ultimately be the best solution. Also, I'm pretty sure that the engine will fit with the stock oil pan bolted on. It should not hit the crossmember, but it will be tight. The only other problem is the overall height of the engine with intake manifold. There are solutions to this by either using a dry sump oiling system or a custom intake manifold. Or use a really big cowl hood! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Ian

I believe that nissan offer one(5sp) on the cima or president version of the the drive train. I wish I could read japanese. I'm not planing on stock accessories just wat need,when time comes mya custom fab new brackets.Which would be Really cool!!! thank for info Will keep informed

Later

Guest Anonymous

glad someone is finally doing this swap pls keep alll of us posted on this one and i'll persoanlly need the specs for the brackets and all the good stuff.pls realize the importance of the project you are undertaking as no one else has done this so pls document the hell out of it.

thanks cheers.gif

From what little I have been able to look up on the subject, the 5 speed in the Cima was only available on the v6 version of that car.

However, maybe we won't have to wait too long. I have heard a rumor (not sure how reliable it is) that there will be a 4.5L v8 w/6 speed in what is currently the 350Z. Don't know if it will be a Infiniti or a Nissan.

Guest Anonymous

I have a 1991 Q45. The stock rating for the VH45DE is 278 hp and 290 lb/ft. but with an ECU (I know someone who can program the ECU for CHEAP) and cheap mods, the engine makes about 305 horses and 340 lb/ft. A friend of mine with a '90 Q, Apexi cold-air intake, Magnaflow dual exhaust ran a 14.6 @95mph and 14.3@99mph with a Z32 R230 diff swap (4.11 gear as opposed to the Q's 3.54). Keep in mind this is a 4100lb. vehicle.

The VH45DE was NEVER mated to a manual transmission. Cima's (Q45's in Japan) came with the V8 or a twin turbo VQ series V6. Only the V6's came with manual trannies. The engine was also used in the Nissan President limo/sedan.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Owen posted an article a long time ago covering a Q45 engine swap. The motor is very wide so custom headers had to be built likewise a new engine cradle.

There was also an article about the lexus 1uZ V8 from an early 90's LS400. However, I propose something else. Why not swap in the Toyota 2UZ 4.7L V8 from a Tundra truck? You could use the heads from the 97-2001 LS400 V8 and swap out the Tundra heads. This will give this hybrid motor much-needed high-end power. Want forced-induction? The Tundra block is iron closed-deck. This would be a better candidate for a blower or turbo and the motor could be stroked & bored to 5.3L.