HybridZ

infiniti Q45 In a 240z

Guest Anonymous

q45z-05.jpg

Apparently this thread is unaware of the set of photos I published this week at my website showcasing first photos of a VH45 V8 test fit into a 240Z that shows very important clearance issues and the possibility that such a swap is doable.

Link to first set of photos is in Featured Z Car Projects Index at ZPARTS.COM

So far I have not had time to organize all my notes and facts on this particular swap well enough to publish them, but I'd like to mention that I know of a very talented Datsun engine swapper in the US that has deep connections with auto salvage yards in Japan. According to him the VH45 V8 has a baby brother, VH41 I believe, that is 1.5-2" narrower at it's widest measurement compared to the VH45. He has had a VH41 V8 sitting in his garage for over a year now waiting for a 240Z to drop it into. His family responsibilites not withstanding, he has promised to send me project photos and write up once he gets started.

If I understood him correctly, he intends to fabricate his custom intake system and brackets as well as relocate several accessories that several other posters have referred to as troublesome.

Last I spoke to him the question of finding a manual transmission to fit the VH series engine had not been totally resolved, but I believe he told me that he had information on trans that would bolt up with modest customizing.

The guy's engine swapping projects have slowed down in the past year due to new family demands, but I know he will be going to Japan soon to import assorted rare engines and performance parts for RB and VH engines if he can track them down.

When I learn more I will publish it at ZPARTS.COM

Moving accessories around is not easy or cheap!

I had to fab a custom bracket for my alternator. It did not clear my frame rails. Not easy to do, AND keep it perfectly lined up for a belt to go around on at 7000rpm..

We had to raise the alt above the frame rails.

Obviously this is on my VG30ET motor..

And steering..ya don't even have to get me going on what it took to get my steering to go around my turbo!

2.jpg

finished%20fram%20mod%20close%20up.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the post on the bell housing !!!!!!!

A buddy of mine in vegas is working on a good infiniti Q45 motor base project. Not a Z sorry. But I helped him pull the Q45 motor and this will be a true one off. A 1923 T-bucket with the Q45 motor sitting in the open air with the side pipes looking as if they held the motor up. :2thumbs:

He is about one year in at this point and the bummer for him was not being able to use a stick. I have sent that link off for him. I hope it lights a fire under his azz on getting this done :fmad:

There are several bellhousings available from a source in Australia to mate the Q45 V8 up to the Toyota Supra 5-speed.

I've asked about adapter for tranny and this was the reply:

Sorry but we don't have such an adaptor. I would have to be made specially.

Regards

Rod

i recently mated up the crank to a zxtt flywheel and pressure plate and it fit. Now on to find a tranny!!!!!!!!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

As I am to understand it, the '94 and up Q45's came with 4.1L motors; I could be wrong though... Somewhere in another forum a guy said he test fitted a Q45 motor in a 240sx. Everything cleared but the headers. I'm not sure if that was a 4.5L or 4.1L though.

'97 and up Q's had the 4.1L engine.

'96 was the only year for no variable timing on the 4.5.

The early engine had the most power, for they messed with the head and intake for emissions purposes later.

The '90 is the only year for sodium-filled exhaust valves I believe.