HybridZ

Hey EE's how would you describe LED MCD?

Sparky

I have been looking at converting my Gauges to RED/BLUE/GREEN leds. but am a ibit confused at the MCD (Luminous Intensity per LED) rate. can somebody please explain and compare MCD in a layman sense. Specifically...how MCD compares to a normal 2watt bulb/ 5watt maybe?

how would a 3000MCD RED LED compare to a stock 12 volt instrument gauge?

whew! sorry for this garbage post...but google searches are coming up negatory.....and all the guys at readioshack looked at me like i was crazy!

ugh....

...milli-candellas (1/1000ths of a candella).

Candella is a measurement of light intensity. So, 3000mcd would be the same as 3 candellas.

How bright is that? I dunno - probably 3 times brighter than 1 candella confused2.gif

I just looked it up, and 1 candella is a universal (english and metric) unit that represents the luminous intensity of a 'theoretical candle'.

I think that you can take this somewhat literally - 3 candellas would be about the same brightness as three candles, like you would have at your dinner table, for instance.

1 candle/3 candle is a more accurate description, because "3x" the light does not actually go 3x the distance. smile.gif

I forget the law its called, but basically twice the light will go 1.5x the distance or somewhere thereabouts. Kind of like surface area of bone versus mass when you talk a 5 foot person versus a 6 foot, the ratios are very different, non-linear scale.

There was a recent update in the world of LEDs (I was supprised it was news that actually anyone cared about), where LEDs now can use something like 1/5th of the power for the same output. I am assuming its a patent that wont be shared until the 7 years are up, and I dont know the company.