HybridZ

Iridium Power Denso spark plugs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Fellow Zr's

Great Forum here, alot of useful info. I have a question for you guys, since your all running high performance Z's. Anyone using these spark plugs? I've read the tested results from Import Tuner mag. regarding these plugs. The secerts of iridium: horsepower or hype. I did search this forum, but I didn't see anything regarding this spark plug. Just wondering if any of you guys using these?

Thank-You,

Donna 83zxt

P.S. Scottie, it's nice to see you here. Long time since I've last talked to you.

Donna Welcome! I see you post on Zcar sometimes but I'm not over there often.

I guess I just will never believe in Silver Bullet sparkplugs. Not a whole bunch of power to be had with any plug. I guess drivability might be improved with some special plug, but until somebody improves greatly on a cylinder head design or something radical, I'll stick with regular plugs.

Pete "old curmudgeon" Paraska

[This message has been edited by pparaska (edited October 05, 2000).]

Guest Anonymous

Iridium... Isn't that the stuff Superman is scared of? smile.gif My experience with platinum, and all the other various plug materials (including splitfire) has been if there is a difference power wise, its not enough to feel. I'd almost bet that just the difference between a cool day and hot day horsepower wise would be just as great as the difference in plugs (probably more so, ask the drag racers). I've had good luck with autolites, ac's and champions alike.

I think every few years they come out with a new marketing design to charge more money for the products.

I have no first hand knowledge or experience with this new plug, so I could be blowing smoke here, but usually plugs just don't make that much difference at least from my own experience.

Respectfully,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Hello and thank-you for the welcome.

They tested it on the SkylineGT-R(engineRB26DETT)The experiment shows that Denso yielded impressive results. Power was gained across the total powerband. Incremental gains at certain engine speeds exceeded 12 hp, while peak was up by 5.2. Is it true that spark plugs are the final link in the ignition system? (Part of the ignition system responsible for initiating the combustion process in the cylinder)

Well you last statement Donna is certainly true. FYI, a high voltage spark (20,000-60,000 volts) is put out by your coil, and this high voltage surge is enough to bridge the air gap between electrodes on your plugs, and ignite the fuel mixture.

If you want to see this phenominon safely in action, disconnect your coil lead at your distributor and hold it 2mm or so away from a grounded metal object. (not something you are holding onto, its quite the shock) Get a friend to try to start the car (it won't start, no spark to the cylinders because you've disconnected the lead) and watch the little spark "arc" across the air gap. Its pretty neat the first time you see it. smile.gif

If you get really cocky, you can ask your friends to hold on to the metal end as you turn it over. biggrin.gif Just make sure they have a good heart. My uncle did that to me when I was about 10... I should have known better. smile.gif

Welcome to the board!

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

I've never believed in expensive spark plugs. Makers of the plugs claim they last longer due to the Iridium (they claim better oxidization resistance than Platinum). The choice of material shouldn't give you any more power. Their other innovation is thinning the electrode down so the plug can fire at lower voltages. If you had an ignition system that wasn't putting out enough voltage to fire reliably, the fancy plugs would definitely make a difference in power output.

I think its a much better idea to have a healthy ignition system, use cheap plugs and change them more often. Use the money you save to buy a high voltage coil if your stock isn't getting it done.

Donna83zxt, good topic starter and welcome to the site. I know there's a lot of work to be done on the design and composition of current wink.gif sparkplugs. I 've been using the Rapidfires since the came out and found they smoothed my idle. Also cleaned the WOT transition. Not talking great hp gains, but noticible. I'd like to hear more on the Iridiums.

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by Drax240z:

If you get really cocky, you can ask your friends to hold on to the metal end as you turn it over.
biggrin.gif
Just make sure they have a good heart. My uncle did that to me when I was about 10... I should have known better.
smile.gif

Welcome to the board!

Heh, yeah I had a bad plug wire boot on a then new HEI system on a Chevy 350 we were working on in trade school. I removed it running to check for a dead cylinder, needless to say I didn't hold on to it very long. They will definately straighten your arms. Shop teacher said I was "grounded"... smile.gif

Grins,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

LOL....I couldn't figure out why my new motor wouldn't turn over. And my friend hooked up a spark tester to the coil. He jumped and yelled "Kameski" as I turn the key. I won't tell you what it means in Greek...LOL...Needless to say it was the power transistor. I've never been shock by my little girl, but it was sooo funny.

Donna

Sport and Compact Car or one of the other new style import rags had an article on these plugs recently. Because it doesn't burn off as easily or oxidize as much the electrobde can be smaller and in theory more exposed to the airfuel mix. Jason was pretty right on with this - probably read the same mag :-)

The increase in power could stem from being more exposed to the airuel mix. Fat electrodes can shroud this apparently and you lose power. I've been told not to use platinum plugs on high boost turbo cars as they apparentlysupposedly outgas at high pressure and suppress spark. This was something Turbo talked about years ago with the Bosch platinums.

There's also some issues with one of the newer plugs out there. The ones with the laid back electrodes. I can't recall the name of them but Mustangs have been showing up at my friend's shop with idle problems and high speed miss issues. Removing these new wonder plugs and putting in standard plugs has fixed this in SEVERAL cases - including one I witnessed myself! We're not sure why but apparently laying the electrode back so far is allowing the spark to get "blown out".

If you can change the plugs easily and don't have to be a contortionist (ahem - LS1 Camaro!) then I'd use decent standard plugs. If you've got a real bear of a job to swap them then consider the Iridium but try to get someone else to pioneer them for you first :-) I had one plug on my Mustang that required the turbo manifold to be removed in order to replace it. Needless to say that sucker was platinum - "outgassing" issue aside - I wanted that sucker to last!