HybridZ

In need of BC coilover follow up

hey guys,

Iv been reading for days about suspension's for the s30 chassis.    since coilover is the way to go, im torn between a t3 set up and the BC setup.   the BC kit seem easier to install vs. the t3 having to section the struts.     im just looking for some more feed back from people who have used the BC's on their s30.    searching hasn't gotten me very far.    any other input from suspension guru's on the quality of BC's would also be great.      thank you

It really is all in there.

Well to start good for you, reading is an excellent way to become informed. Whoa whoa whoa, it really isn't the way to go. Adjustable coilovers (my assumption to what you are referring to) have draw backs as well, it depends on your application. Well those two are indeed setup options, there is also mckinney, sakura garage, arizona z car, and a couple others. Actually I think TTT takes the cake with easy install. You just buy the complete ones and ship back your old housings as cores, bolt them in and done. If you are thinking sectioning is more work then I feel you are probably overlooking the aspect where you also need to cut the housing and weld with the BC setup as well. They are not straight bolt in. The BC thread is filled with people and their experience with installs. Although I'm not sure many people have a lot of miles on them given how recently they came out in the scheme of things. What have you found with searching? What are you looking for information wise? Quality is also a very broad statement, what specifically are you looking for? Their paint finish isn't the best I can tell you off the bat, their packaging is decent. I think all of them had QC stickers.

I didn't know t3 would send me a complete suspension in return for my cores.   that's interesting!  I plan on keeping this car and molding it to my tastes for years and someday give it to my son.    I want to do the suspension once!    its too much money to do it twice.    so as far as quality, something that will last 20- 25,000 miles maybe more before a shock rebuild.   that's if I can rebuild them at all!  I guess what im trying to say is that I want the best bang for my buck.    for spirited driving, some drag strip, autox, and track day events.

ill check that BC thread again, I haven't followed up in about a month, maybe some more feed back has been added.

thanks again

iv been doing some searching of coilover kits    I found megan racing MR-CDK-280z  they look just like the BC setup and the description is very similar.    I see that their are manufactures that are doing similar conversions as BC

I would have to say there is no best. That is actually a forum rule. There is "better suited for certain application," but there really is no best. Even the cheaper coilovers like cx, bc, or the megan coils that mckinney supplies should last about 20k miles. You really haven't narrowed down anything, you have basically listed all the activities available. If that is the case, then I think a spring and strut setup may be more suited for an all around setup.

If price is a factor, I think CX racing has the cheapest setup $870, the TTT setup is down right affordable if you don't plan on doing the welding and sectioning yourself as they will buy your cores if you want to do it that way and it runs about $1600 I think. 

BC is late to the game as they say. zccjdm made the adapters a first, mckinney also offers a megan coilover with adapters, then BC, then I think CX. 

I would really suggest more reading, there really is a lot of information out there as well as a lot of misleading information. Feal did a pretty good write up on what to expect regarding the typical coilover brands and where they fall short and what to expect over time with them. You have to try and get away from anecdotal, I know people who swear by the ride comforts of certain brands, but it really is arbitrary to tolerance, condition, and other modifications. To someone it may be nice and stiff, to others it may be intolerable. 

TTT is really a nicely matched strut and spring combo with adjustable height. Can't say you can do much better then that. The easy install version comes with the housing shortened and everything installed, the only hiccup you may run into is getting your rear control arms free of the spindle on your stock setup, which would also be a concern with all the other brands as well. They will still have droop if that is a factor, and you will probably have to modify your strut towers to accept them either a weld in camber plate or a drill/cut/bolt in camber plate. 

Good luck, and if you have any more questions, try to narrow it down, hard to help at square one.