HybridZ

Question For MikeK Or Anyone With A Fuel Cell

Scottie-GNZ

Mike,

I remember you saying there was a weird problem with the aluminum tank as a result of not having the foam, but I am switching ISP and looks like I deleted the old mail. I am having a strange problem with my FPR and wonder if it might be related and if anyone else with a fuel cell has seen this.

I set the pressure (idle/vac off) to 45#. Car idles fine and pressure appears fine, but after driving for a while, the pressure will drop to 38#. I reset it to 45#, drive for a while and it jumps to 52#. Reset it to 45# and it eventually drops to 38#, ad nauseum. It appears to be changing + or - 7# of the target pressure.

Mike, I remember you saying something about walls of the tank as a result of not having the foam, but my memory is getting bad (huh, who am I?). Since you were running a carb with only 6-7# you might not have noticed this phenomenom, but I wonder if it had anything to do with your mystery fueling problem? confused.gif

I plan on giving Jim Cook a call and see about ordering the foam and if they have a clue. Do you or anyone have a number for RCI? Cannot seem to find one.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

It may have been RCI that just went out of business. I know it was one of the big guns that went under but I'm not sure which one (sigh). I know the company that went under also produced safety belts, other companies were relabeling their stuff too. Getting hold of them might prove tough as a result if RCI was them (grr).

I've got foam in my cell and have never noticed any probs. Then again my setup isn't as demanding either. Is it possible the tank isn't "breathing"? It needs to be able to suck in air as it uses fuel - can't seal it completely...

Yup Scottie, what I read and was also told by folks at Triangle Engineering is that they actually act like an aluminum lung and expand and contract... The more fuel you have in it the more stable it is as far as presure goes. What they told me was that the foam actually stops that. My cell was an RCI unit and is made by the same people that make them for triangle engineering. This is a common problem apparantly with aluminum cells. Funny that they sell them without foam. Scottie, most any speed shop can get you the fuel cell foam.. Go out to www.racerwholesale.com and get it from them.. they are close to you (Georgia) and you should have it in a day or two... if they don't list it online, don't fret, give them a call... they carry it.

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk