HybridZ

speedhut fuel level gauge calibration

Hey guys, just installing a speedhut fuel level gauge in my 260. New fuel sending unit already installed.

Im wondering about calibrating it. Do i need to drain all the fuel and than fill it all the way up to calibrate? or can I use one of the pre-set ohm readings on it? 

Just gonna be a pain to empty the tank and fill it all the way up just to set it. I know if it needs to be done though, then i guess I will do it.

Preset will probably work if you have a stock tank. I forgot what the ohm readings were on the original tank and what the presets on mine were.

Easiest way if you want to do manual calibration would be to pull the sending unit while it's still connected to the harness and set it at empty and full while it's out of the tank. That's what I did with my f-body tank.

EDIT: Your sending unit shouldn't be too hard to pull out. If I remember correctly you can easily access it if you remove the rear passenger wheel and check the front side of the tank.

Edited by Zetsaz

Presets will not be accurate.  Hopefully your calibration will go better than mine, as I can never get mine to read correctly between 3/4 and 1/4 of a tank.  When I fill up it will read full; when I know I am low (say around 1/4 or less) it will read correctly.  In between?  Anywhere from 3/4 to 1/4 on any given day.

You can easily remove the sending unit, but you will want to make sure that you have less than 1/2 tank of gas, otherwise you risk giving yourself a nice bath.