HybridZ

Anyone know of such an adapter?

Apparently I need a strange type of O2 sensor for my '87ZXT ECU to function properly, and the stock (non-universal) part has a smaller bung fitting than the normal 22mm. Has anyone heard of a (stainless) adapter that will interface the 17mm sensor with a 22mm bung? If anyone can tell me more about the screwy O2 sensors on the 300ZX turbos, I'd appreciate it. smile.gif

Well, that's what I thought too. But according to the 300ZX service manual, the N/A uses a normal O2 sensor that generates 0-1V in the presence of )2 in the exhaust. The turbo ECU uses a different sensor that changes it's resistance in the presence of O2 in the exhaust.

I have not verified the different O2 bung size, but thats what I have gathered from searching the archives at Z31.com. They can't seem to answer my question over there though. I suppose I shall just purchase the correct sensor and see if I can have an adapter machined.

Guest Anonymous

It is a different material in the sensor that is apparently more preferable. You can't substitute the universal ones for it. There is an adapter, but I'm not sure where to get one. I think if you found a late model Z31 turbo, you might be able to unscrew it from the manifold. Not positive those come out.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the skinny, if anyone is interested. The adapter from Nissan doesn't work, the thread is huge, wont fit in the 18mmx1.5mm thread for the "normal" O2 sensors. I bought a 18x1.5 oil drain plug, chopped off the hex end, drilled it out and tapped it for the small O2 sensor (12mmx1.25mm), and made my own adapter.