HybridZ

EGT probe placement

I just bought an Autometer Competition EGT probe kit, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where I should install this thing. I've got the stock turbo exhaust manifold and Scotties stainless down pipe. I guess the first question is should I put it in the manifold or the downpipe? If it should go in the manifold, where is the best spot? I was thinking it could go on the bottom of the manifold, under the output for the turbo.

Awaiting your wisdom... icon_biggrin.gif

Nigel

I've been stalking the Supra forums, and they have some fair to middlin' insights about the EGT thing, and this is what makes sense to me.

The temperature drop across the turbo is substantial (this is what powers the turbine, so this is expected). So the obvious place for the sensor is where you are talking about -- under the manifold before the turbo. This is the location I am going to place my EGT, soon as I get my gauge.

The Supra folks say you should not exceed 900C before the turbo, and depending where on the downpipe you put your probe, expect to read 650C-700C when your exhaust temperature before the turbo is at 900C.

So FWIW, I would not want the probe after the turbo because who knows what sort of a temperature drop you have across the turbo? I'd rather know what the exhaust temperature is, not what it might be given the downpipe temp. (of course if you have a crappy probe, you have a problem, if it breaks off -- byebye turbine).

Man SleeperZ, well said! He hit the nail on the head. Because you do not know the temperature differential putting it before the turbo is the only reliable place to take a measurement. I think the optimal place to put the sensor is 2-3" off the port as this can be reference temperature for most all piston-turbo applications. From all I have gathered 900C is the max and I have personally seen higher. You might not necessarily see detonation at higher temps, but you will begin to wear components. My turbo showed slight signs of heat on the turbine wheel tips and if this is a prolonged thing it can possible cause things to melt. I try to keep the EGTs below 1625-1650(900C) at the top of 3rd gear(4th on manual). The only downside is a reduced thermocouple lifespan.