HybridZ

72 240z seat belts

Hey Z buddies, I have a 72 240z and I'm trying to buy the OEM seatbelts for it. The following is based on my assessment of PICTURES of belts that I've seen for sale. I noticed that 240s have two different styles of seat belts. In the earlier style, the receiver (with the "Z" on it) is a limp belt and the non-retractable lap belt has some holes in it for the shoulder belt to latch on to. In the later style, the receiver is a rigid component and the retractable lap belt does NOT seem to have any holes in it for the shoulder belt to latch on to. I am interested in the later style with BOTH lap belt and shoulder belt. But I'm not sure how the shoulder belt latches onto the lap belt because there are no holes in it. Maybe there was in fact no shoulder belt for that lap belt? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, PICTURES would be perfect. Thanks

Early style: http://maseraticompound.com/products/datsun-240z-oem-passenger-side-right-shoulder-belt-assembly-1

Later style: http://m.ebay.com/itm/111547908653?cmd=VISPEC&gxo=true

Edited by GreenBanana

I agree with Miles. 40+ year old belts are not safe. Go with modern equivalents from MSA or a company like Seat Belt Planet or Andover. Yes it takes a bit of adaption, but it's worth it. Even just from the point of having nice inertial reel belts that work like modern belts rather than the annoying stock retractors.

If you absolutely want original belts for restoration or appearance reasons, get a set, have all the belt material replaced by a professional that specializes in this. There are threads on here that mention vendors, or just google it.

Thank you for your replies. I will look into getting better aftermarket seat belts.

But I am still interested in the original belts for aesthetic/restoration reasons, so it would be great to know how the shoulder belt fits together with the retractable lap belt and rigid connector.

Thanks again.