HybridZ

No power past 4000RPM

Len

New wires and plugs. "idle valve" if you mean "throttle valve switch" I changed that twice from switches off of my junkers out back (but even those two may be bad?). Injectors I wouldn't think all of them would just cut out together all at once at 4000rpm. Timing hmmm.. I don't have a timing light but I guess I need to get one but once again the car runs real strong up to 4000 then its like someone turns off the ingnition at 4000 then turns it back on at 3500.

When I first started breathing life into this 280 last week I drained gas from tank, added new gas, turned on just the pump to flush new gas into lines up to fuel rail then put on new filter. I then thought the fuel pump wasen't pumping as strong so I replaced it with another one off a junker. I guess I need to buy a fuel pressure gauge to know for sure I'm getting my 36lbs. worth...I also filled up with about 15 gallons of fuel. Maybe I may have crack in fuel pickup inside tank or in hoses to pump. But I wouldn't think the cutting out would be so consistent if that were the case.

Tim

I did replace the coil with another one of one of my junkers. It still does the same thing (I hope both coils aren't bad). Aaaaa to be rich and have money to buy new parts so I would know for sure if the part I'm replacing isn't also bad.....I wondering if it could be that electronic ignition little black box by passinger side by fuze box. In the meantime I'm going to buy a fuel press gauge and timing light....

Well guys mystery solved it was the Air Flow Meter.... I switched with another one. The car runs kinda ratty but it seems to have a top end without cutting out. I guess I need to dial in the Air flow meter to get the quirks out.

Thanks for the ideas... The timing was 10 degrees before tdc so it checked out OK.

Question;

I finally fired up my 78 280Z. It had been sitting for about 5 years. After getting out all the gremlins over the past week, there is one still lurking somewhere. When I take her for a test drive she runs fine (misses a bit at idle I believe due to injectors cleaning themselves out). But when I go over 4000 rpm she just quits (a backfire sometimes) just dies until I go back down to around 3500rpm. I exchanged two throttle control boxes thinking that might be it.

No luck, same thing. I even replaced coil. No luck.

Any ideas; do you think it could be my air flow meter?