HybridZ

Low-cost Hi-perf EFI Fuel Pump?

Scottie-GNZ

Guest Anonymous

Scottie, look in the search feature, someone mentioned using a Ford Van or Truck Fuel pump that was pretty reasonable, sounded like a pretty good pump for the $.

Regards,

Lone

I am using the MSD P/N 2225 EFI fuel pump. I got mine new for $105.00. It flows 48gph at 39psi(enough to support about 400 hp). This pump is small, relatively quiet, and has work flawlessly for 1.5 years so far.

I tried an Ford F250 pump before using the MSD, and only got 25 psi. The Ford pump requires a low pressure pusher pump ahead of the high pressure boost pump. The MSD pump stands alone, and mounts inline.

Be sure to mount your inline fuel pump so that the inlet is lower than the outlet of your fuel tank. Also mount the pump as far back as possible. Electric fuel pumps push fuel well but are lousy at pulling fuel.

Guest Anonymous

You all may want to look into a Ford pump for the 4.9 (aka 300 ci) staight six. My 1993 F150 pushed 50-60 psi at the mainfold. I can't remember if it was a frame or a tank mount, but a trip to the parts store would iron that out. Or just call Ford.

just thought I would pass that along

considering TPI 355 so I have been following your threads. Which system are we talking about when looking for pumps for you all.

one more quick side note. not to be chicken-sh@t with fuel pressure but I know from past exp. that I could restict the return line to boost pressure by a few lbs.

jake

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

Anyone found a good low-cost hi-perf EFI pump?

IMO, I'm running a bosch I'm liking a lot already. It's very quiet, mounted with rubber all around and 2 large stainless hose clamps. I've heard enough noisier non-OEM/aftermarket type pumps and wanted a truly quiet one and hoped OEM bosch quality would treat me well, their R&D has to be good. The Ford pump someone else mentioned was another brand, can't recall which one that was though (airtek?).

Mine had a 5/8's inlet on gravity side :D and an M12 fitting on the other side that I adapted over to a GIC fitting to hose barb....be nice to just have a nice GIC hose made up some day.

good luck

Scottie, I listened to Jack, 66coupe. I paid about $120 from Napa. It's very quiet. It puts out about 45psi. It was made to run an EFI 351. It does NOT need a "pusher" pump. That is a bunch of baloni. Ford uses a surg tank in that van in the same way it is described in the JTR manual. A sump does the same thing as a surg tank. Mine is mounted beside the tank, above the sump, and it happily sucks up the fuel. When I fired it off for the first time it self primed with only about a quart of fuel in the tank. You will need to buy adapters (Earl's and XRP make them) to connect AN -6. If you want more info let me know and I'll get you part numbers.

Thanks again Jack.

• 2 weeks later...

Right Now I using a F150 4.9L rail mount BOSCH fuel pump. Using my adjustable FPR I have had it to as high as 80psi. I wanted to make sure that it produced enough psi for my car on N2O. It is a good, quite pump.A friend gave it to me after he installed a 289 with a carb, and did not need it anymore. I would say that these pumps where plentful at parts yards.

Good luck

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely check out the flow @ the pressure you need to run on your efi system.

Basic measure (if I remember correctly is .5 lb per hp per hr. Gas weighs (?) ~6.87 lbs/gal (again - thisis the measurement I REALLY can't remember).

Figure ~450-500 HP AT THE RATED FLOW - what happens at lower pressures used on most systems?

"I have had several queries about what pump to recommend and several turbo cars need an upgrade but do not necessarily need a pump rated at a gazillion GPH and costing $250"

Conservatively my bosch will support 450hp which is plenty for me. I used figures from the SDS website for fuel consumption ranges. I mounted it on the stock bracket with two large hose clamps and wrapped the pump in some VERY skookum 1/2" thick rubber (typically used for bridge bearings....soft enough for great damping but no wear....used same on base of radiator mounts)"

SDS has fine info for calculating fuel needs. Just IMO, but I'd rather have an OEM brand pump which is known as damn good (ie. bosch) than aftermarket where far fewer units are made and quality for electrical can often be less than desirable....the quality and quiet bosch had me sold).

• 3 months later...