HybridZ

1982 280 ZX Sensor Light, Car Died & Will Not Crank

CajunZX

I own a 1982 280ZX car was running great, until one day I started the car, ran it for a while then the sensor light came on and the car died.  Anyone have an idea of what to check, change or repair?  I had a 1983 280ZX years ago an had an issue with that car whereby the heat from the engine would cause the module/chip located on the distributor to become hot and the car would just stop.  In that case I would let the engine cool off and restart no problem.  Ultimately changing the module not to have the issue again.

Any thoughts on my current problem with the senso and car not starting.  I did buy a new battery, changed out but did not reolve the problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

When I turn the key on the dash powers up, radio, etc.  Then when I try to turn the car over with the key nothing.....  The sensor light came on then the car died the last time it was running. I had to push into the garage.  Thought it was a battery issue because the battery was old...replaced and still does not crank.  I think it is something electronic like the "brain" module on the distributor.  I don't know for sure.... just looking for some guidance to trouleshoot.

Thanks

Have you tried jumping the starter solenoid wire at the starter?  Have a mechanic check your starter.  

When you turn the key to Start do the dash lights stay on or does everything turn off?  

Is the "sensor light" the exhaust gas sensor lamp?  That's the only "sensor light" I see.  

Is it a Turbo car with ECCS, or NA with the EFI system?  Two different systems.  The NA car does not have a brain and the ECCS brain is abbynormal.  Neither will shut down the engine, I believe.

Too many possibilities, hence the need for more detail. 

post-8864-0-09038800-1498257277_thumb.png

post-8864-0-12902000-1498257409_thumb.png