HybridZ

SDS purchase questions

aarang

I have the money saved ( finally ) to buy the SDS system. I recently went on their sight and discovered the price has jumped to $1320 for the EM4 6F distributorless system. with everything I want with it, the price is $1628. For the system that retains the distributor ,EM4 6E, the cost with all the add ons is $1253.I will be using an MSD box and coil which will add another $200. My question is is the distributorless system worth almost $200 more? Is it that much better. The system is going on a relatively mild ( 300hp+)82 ZX turbo swap with upgraded T4/T3 turbo, NPR IC, 370cc inj, cam, etc.

Any input appreciated smile.gif

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I belive the biggest attraction to the SDS systems has always bin the price and the programability take away the price and I don't know if the rest is worth it. I use Microtech fuel systems that have the option to work any coil you like GM, Ford whatever and use the factory crank angle sensore located in your stock distributor. They have a optional hand programer and laptop ability with spectacular datalogging. You should be able to get away with using the MSD box and coil for your need but ignition timing needs to be adressed by a MSD BTM or ECM programablity. If you need some more input give me a call I've worked a few systems and maybe could help you make up your mind.

Alex Costa

Precision Machined Engines

1-800-665-0405

I was fortunate enough to get in on the group buy a couple of years ago here w/ the HybridZ folk. We were able to get 20% off the price. There seems to be quite a bit of interest from a bunch of people again, so another possible group buy may be in order. If someone arranges it, I may be interested in another set-up as well.

shifty.gif Just don't tell my wife shifty.gif

Check out this thread...

http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=000058#000002

As I was telling Scotty earlier, the 2nd gen rx7 leading coil pack is a great performer at an awesome price. The coil pack is setup to fire two spark plugs at a time (so you would have wasted spark), and the igniter is built into them. The igniter is easy to interface with most aftermarket systems. Just supply +12 volts and the computer gives it a ground signal, and then the coil fires (the high current ground is pulled through the coil's dedicated ground wire, not the computer).

I'm using the igniters to drive my stock coil packs on my 7m-gte, since the toyota igniter was more difficult to interface with.

The coils with igniters (they bolt together) can be had for about $15 a peice, for a 6 cylinder you'd need 3, so $45 worth of these guys should be more than enough to drive 400+ horses.

I'm assuming the distributorless system allows you to control ignition timing at all load points/RPM points. Also you get the advantage of using multiple coil packs for a stronger spark.

For not much more money than the SDS you could jump into the Wolf3D, which has a hand held device with limited realtime data logging/map adjustment. For full resolution view/control you plug in a laptop. The Wolf3D can easily use the 280zxt distributor as a crank trigger sensor, or even use the `81 crank trigger setup, so you could save some money there by not having to pay for a custom trigger setup. The Wolf3D has a more modern processor, capable of higher RPM, and more aux. I/O's. The hand held has a lot of feed back that I think is well worth the extra couple hundred, you could spend that much in the guages that it replaces easily. My setup was $1500 shipped with a modifed crank angle sensor.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I have a few Microtech fuel systems coming from Australia, if you guys would like more info on those systems and get in on the deal that I am working...let me know.

Alex Costa

Precision Machined Engines

1-800-665-0405