HybridZ

Hey Scottie!

John Scott

We have our own little corner for now! Since we both attacked the ZV6 transformation w/o a JTR manual, I was curious about your engine placement and mount fabrication. I came up with a really cool set up for the chevy block. But it's REALLY low and back in the engine compartment. Also, are you running an intercooler? ATI makes a 2 row that would be good for about 450hp, and a 3 row for the big #s. I've got a friend building a turbo small block Ford for the SS Nevada race, and is going to run their 3 row. With all that room ahead of the radiator it seems a natural place for one. Lastly, how much better are the "on center" Buick blocks for performance?

John Scott

I have some pics (now a little dated) at http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html and if you are interested in more details about the car and the old L28T setup, that is at http://members.xoom.com/Turbo240Z/scotties240zt.htm.

This drivetrain was already in a Z when I found it and the owner wanted to go back to a L28T/5-spd to road race, so we made an even swap. I included the SDS programmable system I had since I felt the stock GN ECM and chips would suffice. The brackets for the mounts are welded on the cross-member and has the engine as low and as far back as it can go. It is not as far back as your setup because the GN's DP sits high then needs clearance by the firewall. Still the entire engine sits behind the axis of the front wheels. All of the above can be seen in the pics. The FMIC and plumbing are all part of what I did for the swap.

With the L28T I used an Isuzu NPR truck FMIC, a very good and cost-effective unit. The L28T was stock with the stock t3 turbo and SDS and I squeezed 110.97mph out of it. For the GN, I found another NPR I/C that is even larger than the old one. Dont know how far I can go with it but there are several 450+hp imports running it so I think it is good for quite a while. Lots of pics and details on this I/C on my page.

Dont know enough about the different V-6s to have an opinion. My goal for this car is to break into the 10s by the end of the year w/o touching the bottom-end and I would really like to do it w/o touching the head or cam. I figure I need about 430hp (at the wheels) to run 10.95 assuming I have traction. With the L28T, I cut a 1.78 60' with a 5-spd and street tires, so with the transbrake, 10psi off the line and sticky tires I expect the car to hook up.

Ambitious goal but I believe the right bolt-ons and tune, tune, tune, is what makes the GN run hard and I am learning this engine fast. The car only has a 4-point rollbar so I expect it wont be long before they boot me off the track and I have to get a proper cage.

Scottie

Knowing a little about your engines potential, I'd say you are within reach of 10s. What do you plan to do for fuel lines? What do you think the original size can handle? I have a boost regulated pump. about 5 lbs putting around and 14+ at full boost. We have a unique combination. At 0 boost levels we can behave with the 200 or so hp, then transform into high hp at the drop of the hammer. It's great!

John

• 2 years later...