HybridZ

4.1LBuick/Cadillac

zgeezer

No, the Cadillac motor is a v8 and the Buick motor is an over grown 3.8 . The buick has some performance options but you would be better with a turbo 3.8 As for the Cadillac it is all alluminun and they have main bearing problems. Most of the ones you see will either have had bearings put in them or knock real bad when cold. (not a bad motor otherwise) .. By the time they made the 4.9 and then the northstar motors they had fixed this problem, They will go 200k+ easy

Later Ray

quote:

Originally posted by Ray:

No, the Cadillac motor is a v8 and the Buick motor is an over grown 3.8 . The buick has some performance options but you would be better with a turbo 3.8 As for the Cadillac it is all alluminun and they have main bearing problems. Most of the ones you see will either have had bearings put in them or knock real bad when cold. (not a bad motor otherwise) .. By the time they made the 4.9 and then the northstar motors they had fixed this problem, They will go 200k+ easy

Later Ray

Ray, thanks for the quick response. This morning I went out and took another look at the Cadillac. This one is a V-6 and there is one other V-6 in the yard. Both appear to be 1980-1982 (I'm relying here upon the yard's marking) and both are front wheel drive ElDorados. Both have what appears to be a quadra-jet with wires.... not a throttle body. The block, when subjected to the scratch test, reported back as a cast block, not AL. The smog decal identifies the engine as a 4.1L. This is not the v-8 that populates 'bout 20 other Cads in this lot. Frankly, while I've not really followed Cadillacs, other than the early v8s, I did not know they had ever produced or equipted their cars with a true v6 (Don't count the 4-6-8 marketing ploy). Which brings me back to both the original question and the unstated followup. Is this really a corporate slieght of hand and a rebadged Buick and if it is a rebadged Buick, is there any real performance benefit to running it. The question is of some concern to me because I've purchased the turbo carbed 1980 Buick Riviera (another front wheel driver) and would acquire the Cadillac if it's really a Buick that would accept the turbo and other performance options for the 3.8.

Sorry about the long post.

It was a surprize to me also. My local yard owner told me that Cadillac never did produce a v-6 until he walked his own lot and saw three of them. His exchange book states that in 1981-1982, the same 4.1L v6 ran in Cadillac ElDorados, Buick Rivieras, and Oldsmobile Toronados....all front wheel drivers and all using the same basic platform. So, tomorrow, I'll dicker terms for a 4.1L and begin the process of spending time and money. I like my 350HOZ, but I'm beginning to see more high performance Z engine swaps than clean stock Z's. The hot-rodder in me crys for a more sophisticated 1948 Fordillac, which was my first transportation. I think I can build a decent 3/4 scale '48 Ford by mating a turbo 4.1L & automatic to a 444 Volvo. If that doesn't pan out, I always have my parts car Z for a decent chassis.

Thanks folks. If anyone out there has played with 444/544 Volvos, please contact me.

Ooooh, is that the really funky looking sporty Volvo? I saw one of those weirdo cars in a parking lot once with it's long nose and I swear I heard it calling for a motor swap! Anyone got a WEB site with a pic of one of these suckers? Don't know what the engine bay looks like but that puppy looked really ripe for a swap! icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

This is a picture of a nice Volvo swap with a Ford in it. I always like the 1800, this is a 62. Super clean installation.

jvford.jpg

jen-volv.jpg

Zgeezer,

is that geezer as in old Z or old Z owner? icon_biggrin.gif

On a serious note, I cannot confirm that is a Buick 4.1L but you can certainly go to the Buick tech site, www.gnttype.org, and see pics of a 4.1L or if you have a casting number, match it up. Several of the Buick hotrodders used the NA 4.1L as the basis for a turbo buildup. My buddy is doing one as we speak. However, since it was not originally a turbo motor, several mods have to be made, the details of which you can get on the Buick boards.

www.turbobuicks.com www.turbobuick.com

The 444 and 544 Volvos are dead ringers for a 3/4 scale Disney '48 Ford Tudor. The original sexy Volvo the P1800 came in sometime around 1970(?) which is a real collector's item with or w/o the Ford.

Remember, old hot-rodders get this way with age and/or money.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, my brother had a 544 when I was a kid. Cool car, would make a nice swap, I remember the shifter being really long and truck like. It was fun cruising in it.

Here's a picture of the 544/444, doesn't show the rear, but it basically rounds back somewhat like a VW, but longer. For those who havn't seen one:

side544.jpg

Sorry for getting off topic, but neat to broaden our horizon on other projects!

Regards,

Lone

Yes! It's the 1800 I've seen! I swear it looks like something the GreenHornet would drive! If I could find one of those in good shape and swap in a V8 I'd be in heaven - that puppy is just plain cool looking.

Hrm, HybridVolvo.org? icon_biggrin.gif Lone, if you've got any other interesting sites with those puppies by all means let me know. I canNOT handle yet another project but I can drool as well as th enext guy. I can see the Honda punks now - I got beat by a Volvo?! WaaaHaaa!

Guest Anonymous

HybridVolvo.org... Lol thats funny. Nah thats the only one, the particulars can be found here:

http://members.aol.com/danmas/

This site pretty much is about putting V8's and V6's into brit sport cars, but there are a few non brit like the Volvo. (as well as a few of the members here have links on it for V8 z's. Despite how some feel about brit sport cars, the swaps take alot of work and the guys doing them are pretty talented.

Regards,

Lone

The Volvo guys have a site called the "Brickyard Forum" or "Flying Bricks." Very tough cars and good candidates for V8 conversions. ipd (yes, small letters only)makes all kinds of suspension upgrades, etc. They are out of Oregon. Great company. You guys make me wax nostalgic about Volvos...and I'm still trying to sell both my 240s! My 2 door 240 DL is all ready for a swap--only thing missing is the motor and tranny, but everything else (JTR suggestions) is a go!

David

Guest Anonymous

Yummpin' Yimminy, Ya boy did vwe ever git offt topic.. icon_smile.gif

Swedish muscle cars, I agree that would be hilarious spanking someone with like a 4 door 240 or 260... Maybe a stroker 383 and some spray.. icon_smile.gif

Lone

Guest Thurem

Hey

There was one for sale on Ebay about a week or two ago. I t was a stationwagon with a five oooh motor and an automatic. The reason it was for sale was that it was tooo fast for the wife to drive. Haaaaa Haaaaaaa

Thure

• 2 years later...
.., This morning I went out and took another look at the Cadillac. This one is a V-6 and there is one other V-6 in the yard. Both appear to be 1980-1982 (I'm relying here upon the yard's marking) and both are front wheel drive ElDorados. Both have what appears to be a quadra-jet with wires.... not a throttle body. The block, when subjected to the scratch test, reported back as a cast block, not AL. The smog decal identifies the engine as a 4.1L..,

FWIW,

While going thru some old post for Bk 3.8/4.1 info, I found this one. A book I obtained while working for GM/MIC, "Mechanical Parts-Labor & Illustrations" should help clearify the V6 engine optioins: it denotes:

"E" cars: Riviera, Toronado & Eldorado's

1) 1979-81 Buick 3.8 V6, T-4BC carbs: 5th digit in VIN, #3 engine code

2) 1982 Buick 3.8 V6, T-4BC carbs: 8th digit in VIN, #3engine code

3) 1981 Buick 4.1 V6, 4BC carb, 5th digit in VIN, #4 engine code

4) 1982-84 Buick 4.1 V6, 4BC carb: 8th digit in VIN, #4 engine code

5) 1984-85 Buick 3.8 V6, T-SFI: 8th digit in VIN, #9 engine code

Just thought I would pass the info along.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Yes I to have a sick liking for Volvos.. and want to V8 and 80s 2 door 'gt'. The bragging rights alone would be worth the time/effort. "Heh.. I just smoked your 5.0 'Stang in an 83 Volvo!" :lol: Oh ya, and a V8 swap in a P1800 volvo is cool but TIGHT. Rear 2 plugs have to be changed from access panels inside car. Yech.. no thanks!

To answer the original question, if the Caddy had a V-6 it is the same Buick 4.1L V-6. The Caddy 4.1L V-8 had a "4100" badge while the V-6 was "4.1". It was also available in the following: 80-84 Buick Electra, Riviera, and LeSabre; 81-82 Cadillacs; 81-84 Olds 98 and Toronado; 82 Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix.

The Buick 4.1L V-6 is just a larger version of the 3.8L and can be distinguished by the Quadrajet carb. It is becoming a popular engine for converting to a turbo for a nice increase in displacment over the 3.8L.