HybridZ

Info on Buick V6 rod journal diameters needed!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey All, I'm building a SBC 327 and I'm looking to increase the rod/stroke ratio without shelling out big bucks for aftermarket rods and custom pistons. I've been looking around, and it seems like Buick V6 rods from a 181?,196, 225, 231, or 252 would make good candidates for my application. They are readily available, are 5.960" in length and come in 2.1" and 2.25" rod journal diameters... Now here is my question, in what applications did the 5.960" long rods with a 2.1" journal come in? Also how wide are these rods and what is the small end diameter? It would be great if I could adapt these to use 'em along with a 5.7" 383 piston in a SBC... I know almost nothing about the Buick motors so hopefully you guys will help elucidate me on the matter. Thanks

Guest Anonymous

Yes I know... I can buy 5140 6" rods bushed and ARPed for $170 shipped. But that's $170 I'd rather be spending elsewhere, read my post, I wanna do this FOR CHEAP, without buying aftermarket rods or custom pistons

Thanks Pete, that's the point I was trying to make on cost of rods. I had a friend who had the regular TRW flat tops dished 10cc for a 455 Pontiac. I'm pretty sure that was closer to .125. You need to look at the bottom, but I don't see any problem taking .040 off the top. Especially a normally aspirated motor. The top ring starts getting pretty close to the combustion area, which puts more load on the ring itself.

Guest Anonymous

Pete, if the Buick rod swap is indeed possible, we would need to install ARP bolts, maybe resize the rods, and bush the small end... So you're right, shouldn't leave much change from $170

However, what everybody has failed to mention is whether I can safely mill the pistons down ~0.040 so I can use these 6" rods without resorting to fancy pistons... something that wouldn't be necessary with the Buick Rods