HybridZ

Can a Datsun Roadster conversion hang here

Guest Anonymous

Yes, the Roadster is a viable candidate for a V6 swap (I have yet to see a Roadster V8 swap, but anything is possible, especially with an 215ci Buick aluminum block V8) and I have seen them on ebay. I believe the one I saw used a 90 degree V6 with a 4 speed and it fit well judging from the pictures. A V6 like a 3.8 would make that little car scream.

The Roadster has a full steel frame chassis (not unibody!) and should be able to more than handle the torque. My brother has owned two Roadsters, both were 1600's and one was an SPL-311 I think. Since this is going to be no "purist" car (good for you, man!) I suggest that you use whatever parts make sense and not go genuine NISMO on as many things as you can. Why? Cost and availability. You will be miles ahead if you you can either adapt components or go aftermarket with items like brakes, springs, etc--oh, and don't even mention the vertical mount stereo! Small parts on those cars can nickle and dime you to death in a hurry, so be prudent with that and spend the bulk of your resources on the engine and tranny swap.

Since I'm a Z guy, I don't have links to converted Roadsters, but if you look you'll probably find some. I wish you the very best of luck on a guaranteed fun ride!

Don't feel like an outcast--this place is strictly non-conformist. We can appreciate just about any hybrid! The ricers won't have us because we're too old school RWD and many of us like V8's. The purists hate us because we "cut" up good cars and bastardize them with American engines.

Guys that have V8 RX7s, like Tom Colsher, hang out here once in a while, and we always get some guys with other kinds of swaps. All are welcome as far as I'm concerned. So, kick back, grab a brewski, and fire away!

Good Luck!

David

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Anonymous

Hey Jeromio - The 1600 put out 96 HP (old rating so your 80 HP is close) and is pretty quick. The 2000 put out 135 or 150 with Solex option. Roadster are a blast and will keep the '66 stock, but the need for speed has hit me - like you guys. 300 HP in a 2000 pound '67 Roadster sounds about right icon_smile.gif

I have been a Datsun Roadster nut for years and do the Roadster email list. The problem is these guys don't know much about the 3.8. Only one other in a Roadster, but a NA motor. The popular swaps are the KA24 motor and the VG30. I like the 3.8 because it is only 50 pounds heavier than the 1600, has more CI then most V6s, is a small package, has great HP potential.

Hope I can stay icon_smile.gif you guys have great information and NICE Zs!!

Phil

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the welcome DavyZ! I totally agree on the purist thing - oh man! Some hate me for cutting on a 67.5 Roadster. But I look at it this way. I got the car for free from a guy in Illinois. The thing is RUSTY, so I found another frame and will patch the body back together. So, I am saving a Roadster from the JY.

I have the 3.8 sitting in the car now. I had to cut the fire wall/tunnel area back a couple of inches and hardly noticable. The T5 shifter is within one inch of the stock location. I don't have the good frame in hand yet, so I will start building turbo plumbing and doing some body work.

The finished Roadster will be black with dark gray strips, red interior. Billet almunum tail lights, side molding, interior trim, bumbers. The side windows will be capped with aluminum. Lowered with 15 inch wheels and most likely flared for bigger tires/wheels. And yes - very little Nissan stuff being used. Painless wiring, autometer gages, custom seats and console - you get the idea. It is hard enough to keep the '66 in parts.

I am having a BLAST working on this project!! I welcome any ideas!

Phil

[ June 06, 2001: Message edited by: SPL311 ]

Don't be intimidated by what the others may say! Like you said, you are saving that car from the junk yard. FWIW, there is a guy out here in CA who has a Roadster business (I won't mention names) and he buys them as cheaply as possible, strips them of good parts, and has the hulls crushed. HE DOES NOT CARE! The price availability of the cars goes down, the price goes up, and the average guy can't afford the car anymore. I don't like that...

Sounds like you have a very cool project going on! Too bad you are so far away--I'd love to see it. The billet Al tail lights sound trick. I like the style of the original ones, but the cost of them makes me shudder! I'd try anything else.

Your Roadster "friends" will stop the talk after you smoke them on anyroad, anywhere. As you know that V6 will make gobs of torque to launch the sucker quickly icon_biggrin.gif

Did you say the frame was rusty, or the body was rusty? Those frames are pretty solid; I can't imagine the car being intact if the frame was rusted--body would be powder long before the frame would go--but then, they don't salt the roads out here and most cars have only surface rust if any at all.

Post some pictures for us if you can. I'm sure most of the guys would love to see what a feat it is to squeez an American V6 into a narrow engine compartment like the Roadsters. You've got guts for doing that; I know it's tight, but if the mounts are right, it will look like the motor was meant to be there--the way yours does, I'm sure. icon_smile.gif

Give us updates as you make progress.

David

Guest Anonymous

Hey David - I know the guy you are talking about and he is not the only one. This kind of thing really pisses me off!

The Roadster was sitting by a river and I think the river would rise and cover the frame and lower parts of the body - which rusted out. The floors have some holes and the upper part of the body is in great shape.

I do have some pictures at a photopoint site Photopoint It is in the custom album. I did have to remove the steering rod to get the motor in, but I plan on putting a rack and pinion in and rerouting the whole works anyway.

Phil

Hey, sounds like a great swap! I considered doing a similar conversion once, but got hit with the Z bug when I was about 21. The early roadsters of that era (1600, 2000, MG's) had unreliable engines that needed constant maintainence (my friend had an MG that spent more time in the shop than driven) so doing a swap like that is almost practical.

I'd like to hear more about the swap, when you gave pictures, share!

AL

Well Phil,

It looks like you know what the heck your doing...absolutley gorgeous fabbing of the rear lights, and in the same style as the originals no less!

Beautiful Custom Roadster too! I need more time to go through the pics (I'm at work and can't do it fully)

I'm a little confused: I noticed the stereo was horizontally mounted; they must be different for certain years since my bro's stereo was a funky vertical mount. The only stereo he could find that had a vertical reading was a Sanyo, which they no longer make of course.

Make sure the cat gets a ride when you're finished with the project!

Regards,

David

One more thing to add, there seems to be an enlightened group of Roadster guys on the Zdriver forum--there is a Roadster specific forum there that you may find very helpful. Still, this is a good place to hang if you get the chance icon_smile.gif

David

Guest Anonymous

Hey David - the 65 to 67 Roadster had the flat dash, low windshield, and different console with horizonal radio. In 68 to 70 they went to a molded dash, 2 inch higher windshield, and vertical radio (like your brothers).

Someone got the cat icon_sad.gif so he will not get a ride.

Roadster and Z car dude Mike Poorboy works with the Zdriver guys and is always trying to get us Roadster guys to check in. I guess I should more often - nice site!

Thanks for the nice comments!

Phil

Guest Anonymous

Welcome! Thats going to be a sweet swap, looks like it fits in there pretty well. I think the site is definitely open minded about engine swaps, while the site maybe dedicated to Z's any little car/big engine swap usually interest us! 300 HP in a Roadster sounds like just the sort of project that we like. I think anyone who has ever said "I wonder if this engine will fit in there?" will find much in common with the members here at HybridZ. Anyway, welcome to the forum, if you have any questions or updates I'm sure we'd love to see them!

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I found this site though Scottie and the GN site. I am doing a 3.8 carbed turbo/T5 trans in a Datsun Roadster. I am kind of an out cast and looking for a home to talk fast Datsuns. If I can stay I will give more details on my custom.

Phil

Personally, I'm interested in any kind of car tweaking discussion.

Friend of mine had a little Datsun 1600. It was like a gocart - very small, very low to the ground, very sporty. That little 4 couldn'tve been making any more than 80hp, but that was plenty.

There are a few Datsun roadster sites out there - I know I've run across a few documented roadster engine swap sites. Dunno what happened to my bookmarks though.

Wow, I like it! I've seen VERY few Roadsters and the one I got the best look at apparently had bondo for a floor (sigh). Nice job on the tailights and doorhandles. You do the machining yourself? The handles will look REALLY nice on that car. Keep it coming, love to check out the progress icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Hey BLKMGK - Roadsters are pretty scarce in your (and mine) neck of the woods. In CA they are regular sights. 40,000 imported from 65 to 70 and maybe 10,000 left.

Yep, machined the parts myself. When I started here I had to design parts to be machined (still do). I felt I could not give the techs a good drawing without knowing what is involved in the machine process. So, I spent 2 months learning how to operate the machines. Now during my lunch I go back to the shop an make stuff. It is a nice break out of the office.

Thanks - glad you like them!! and will keep you all posted.

Phil

Sounds like a pretty awesome swap. I havent viewed your pics yet however. I really like the idea of that motor in a 1600. I saw a 1600 out at LACR when i was in california, the guy had an rx7 rotary in it. It was louder than all hell, and just hauled! I was rooting for that guy the whole night!

Evan

PS... Hang around awhile, its amazing what you can learn even whenit doenst specifically relate to your ride! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Very cool car. I always wanted to see someone stick an SR20DET in one of those. Some day far far away I will own a roadster or a 510 and stick one in...

Guest Anonymous

Hey Dew - there are a couple SR20DET/Roadsters in the process and one completed. These do make a great motor for the Roadster. I really considered this motor too. But the cost to get one from Japan was a little high and I like the torque of the 3.8 AR,AR,AR, icon_smile.gif

Phil

There was an article in "turbo & high tech performance" magazine with a SR20DET powered roadster. Actually if I remember correctly, it was the same issue that Jim Biondo's 74 260z was featured in. Definately an issue worth having.