HybridZ

7M-GTE running in 240Z

Tony240ZT

Finished up the wiring of the Wolf3D v4.0 and got the engine to run/rev. I'm using the 7M's coil packs with 2nd gen rx7 igniters, Accel 500hp fuel pump, -6an fuel lines, 550cc/min injectors. Intercooler/turbo are not hooked up yet, but will start work on those shortly, they are 2 1/2" with mandrel bends hooked up to a HKS front mount intercooler. Before I can drive it around I have to have a drive line made, and exhaust system made, also need to reroute the clutch hydraulic line.

The modified cam possision sensor did the job for sending the timing signal to the control unit. The control unit drives an electric boost controler, which is hooked up. I've installed two low profile electric fans that I found out in the junk yard (they're there, just can't see them in pictures). They are switched on and off by the control unit.

Time to clean up the wiring as it all seems to be hooked up correctly. Hopefully I should have it out on the road next week with boost.

mvc-814f.jpg

mvc-813f.jpg

Guest Anonymous

Congrats Tony on a great install, it fits in there mighty nicely by the looks of things. (actually way cleaner than a L motor :D )

cheers.gif ,

Lone

Yeah, a monster turbo is on santa's wish list.

I'm thinking about trying to get all of the wiring I can that is on the firewall to be hid inside to make things cleaner looking. Right now I don't have a thing bolted on the inner fenders, so if I ever got around to painting it all silver it would look real nice.

I'll upgrade the compressor on the turbo I have (Toyota CT-26, larger than a T3, but smaller than a T4) to get some life out of it, but hope to be bolting on a full t4 before the end of the year. HKS, and HPS make manifolds, or I could go the custom route.

Fairlady,

Use a four cyilinder. 4ag, 3sgte, 3tgte, 22r The later two should go straight in with the right parts. you will still fry the tires and might even make it around a corner.

Finally something I know a little about :D

Douglas

Ssidemorning.jpg

The engine is out of a `87-`92 Toyota Supra Turbo like my `87 above in the picture. It's a DOHC, turbo charged, intercooled, 3.0L inline 6 with multi coil packs. My engine is a low milage japanese imported one and they made 260hp stock over there, and 240hp here in the states at around 7-8psi of boost. Stock injectorers were 440cc/min, I dropped in the 550's from rx7's.

With the fuel upgrades, 3" exhaust, upgraded intercooler, IC hard pipes I should be able to boost 15 pounds easily. Anymore and I'll have to put a metal head gasket on and ARP head studs. My `87 Supra Turbo is making only 11 pounds of boost and putting out 290hp (smog leagal), so I hope to be at around 320-340hp in the Z car to start out with.

Here's what the engine looks like in my `87, it's pretty much stock looking except for the manual boost controler:

http://www.zhome.com/~aktar/supra/engine.jpg

Guest bang847

Crazy! 2thumbs.gifrockon.gifhail.gif:D:D:D are you going to MSA? If so I would really like to see your car... Hey how much did your swap cost? I know your not done but an estimate?

Hard to say exactly how much I have into it. I just started writing down some figures and added up around $5k, bit scarry. Some of the big numbers include Wolf3d at $1500, engine $900, tranny $300, TRD clutch $450, HKS intercooler $375. My starter and alternator are rebuilt ones, and weren't cheap, and neither was the fuel system. I saved money on electric fans, coil igniters, shifter, and tranny mount by buying them from the junk yard, but everything else is new.

I'd like to make it to the MSA get together if the car is up to the task of driving there.

Not sure if I'll be ready for the battle of the imports. I'll be going out there at some point though.

I should have my `73 with L24ET running before the end of this weekend, so I may take that car out there. Other wise I'll take my big, heavy supra turbo.

Guest Anonymous

I got a 7MGTE turbo engine as well and wanted to know how hard it was to do the conversion. I could use some details as to what I need to pull from the supra and engine mount design. Looking at your site and the pics you posted it doesn't seem as congested in the Z as it does in the supra.

Thanks,

I'd say the engine bay in the Z is larger, but there are a lot more electronics in the engine bay of the Supra.

People that are worry about the way their engine bay looks when doing a custom setup will try to make things less cluttered in order to have a cleaner look. For instance, I have as much electronic stuff as I can inside the car hidden away, such as relays, electronic boost controler, fuse block, coil igniters.

The Supra also has more emissions control hardware, it has a diagnostic plug in port, ABS, electronicly controled suspention, cruise control.

Just get the engine out of the supra after unplugging the engine harness, drop into Z, get it lined up and then start making your engine mounts. You will need to trace wires in a wiring diagram to see how you can integrate the engine wiring harness with the car. Just stick that engine as far back and as low as you can get it. Then get a drive line, exhaust, intercooler piping made up for it. I suggest not going with the stock intercooler as it has quite a bit of pressure drop at low boost levels.

Pick up the Jags That Run book, it can help out quite a lot in any kind of engine swap into an early Z.