HybridZ

1JZ maybe?

BLKMGK

1jz-gte is very similar to the 2jz-gte, just smaller displacement. Both engines are very well known for being very strong.

The 1jz was offered in the 91-92 Supra's in japan only with the old MA70 body style (MKIII), same that had the 7m-gte's. The 1JZ-GTE fixed the blown head gasket problem, and has a head that was designed by yamaha to allow for higher rpms and better flow.

The 1JZ-GTE had more boost stock than the 7M-GTE, but with a couple upgrades to the 7M you will find that the two are very comparable engines performance wise.

• 3 weeks later...

Hrm, looks just like my 2JZGTE actually. 5spd? Stateside got 6speeds with only 6th being OD. Honestly, I think that a 2JZ would be a great swap, dunno hardly anything about the 1JZ and if I hadn't seen the 1JZ casting I'd have sworn that description was wrong. Went for $2K+ BTW so don't feel tooo bad. Watch SupraForums for engines coming up for sale...

1JZ came in two formats.....the twin turbo (NOT sequential) model in the MKIII supra's and soarer's, and also

the Single Turbo Version (not sure which cars they came in, maybe a Mark II or something), which comes with VVTi.

afaik, the single turbo is relatively new, and maybe still in production...

they are fairly undersquare...about 86 x 76.. revvy little suckers. If they are a bit cheaper that the 2JZ stateside, than they could be well worth it.

Ray

Guest sball

I can't believe how much you guys pay for Japanese import engines, they are so cheap here in Oz, a 1jzgte front cut $3500, or $1200 for the motor dressed. Toyota soarer stuff is so cheap here, in US$ a 1jzgte is about $650.

Hrm, there's a shop not far from me that specializes in importing Japanese engines I'm told. Got them stacked to the ceiling is what one of the Honda guys told me. I wonder if he could get one at a reasonable cost? Had I only known - I'd have done something like that instead of th eSBC, seriously. I LOVE forced induction...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

The 1JZGTE is probably the best 'bang for your buck' Japanese import engine that we get here in Australia... half cuts can be had for just over $2000, it can be difficult and expensive to get a manual box though.

They're powerful and apparently respond well to a few simple mods, for those who are interested I'll post the link for the webpage of a guy whose worked with a few.

http://home.kooee.com.au/celicamad/index.htm

I'm not a big buyer of car magazines these days... but I did hear a while back that one of the major Aussie mags 'Zoom' perhaps? was doing a 1JZGTE install into a Z... an interesting swap.

the hot and somewhat inexpensive swap into a 74 celica is the 4agze, the supercharged mr2 motor which bolts up to the 85-86 4ag equipped gts corolla ae86er. if you wanna go loco, find the twincharger setup, the sc spools a turbo, and youre off to the races. sorry off topic, but hey, i was gonna do a old skool corolla til mrs.327 shook her head hell no.