HybridZ

RB25DET in an 260z

Guest Simon

Guest Simon

Hello there,

My plan is to put a RB25DET into a 260z 2+2. R200 LSD Diff. Lower and stiffer suspension and nylon bushes

I am going to purchase a half cut for $AUS4000 with a manual gearbox and everything need to get the motor going except the fuel pump anything else i might need?

If you have an information can you please let me know as i plan to document what i do and make a website for my car to assist others.

Is there a motor that is more suited for the job for the similar price?

What modifications are required to make the engine fit in the engine bay?

Guest Anonymous

Well quite honestly I have heard of the swap. but it was in an Nissan 300zx around the year 89 I belive.However the engine space and overall engine bay size can't be too terrably different. From whatI know sounds like you have everything covered. Then again I'm not a Z expert I'm just beginning to learn alot myself. Now then Ton's of ppl have done the v-8 swap for the 260-280 Z.So if you wanna do and easier swap then that is what I suggest you go for. But when and if you do get this done,e-mail me some hella pic's.

Guest 26ounce

I think you should stick with the RB motor Simon from what I have seen it makes an ideal swap for a Z. Being in WA you are not going to find a much cheaper swap either unless you try an older RB30.

Both Stony and Cuong (Cuong posts under RB26DETT) have done the rb26 swap. Cuong is in WA too but I don't think he has a website.

This guy has also done an RB swap..

http://members.optushome.com.au/charleswilliams/engine.htm

From what I have heard RB20 would be easiest to swap into a 260Z with no clearance problems. Stony had problems with the RB25 in getting the exhaust manifold and turbo to clear the pillars, he also thought the clearance with the bonnet might be issue. Lastly I believe the RB26 is the most difficult to swap in (and most difficult to drive afterwards with that much grunt hehehe).

If you do go ahead I'd reckon a well put together website would make you a very popular man! 2thumbs.gif

Hi all,

the RB is one of the coolest engines that you could think of swapping into a zed!!!

I have a '73 240Z with an RB26DETT with single Garrett GT40 Ball bearing turbo, Autronic ECU with antilag and traction control and many, many other mods.

For the conversion you'll need things like modified sumps, oil pick ups, engine and gearbox mounts etc. I have heard of others getting away by mix and matching mounts from various models, I however modified the aluminium GTR ones. I had to shorten my tail shaft as my engine is set as far back as possible, however I have seen 2 RB25DET and 1 RB30DET conversion which have retained the factory tail shaft.

Other things to consider are all the hidden expenses and also the cost of bringing the rest up to scratch ie brakes, suspension, I/C etc.

Good luck, Cuong Nguyen.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Simon!

good to hear another zed in Aus is looking at making the cross to the RB! Where about in aus are you? If you're in melb you should come cruise with me and a couple other zed guys down here!

anyways, i've got an rb20det snugly between the struts of my zed, and i've gotta say its just brilliant.. although percieved as the 'lesser' of the rb engines it performs great and looks perfect in the bay.. not as perfect as say an rb26dett.. but it looks nice ;)

the 2.0 and 2.5 litre RBs can be a bit of a pain to get in to a zed.. from what i've heard the 26dett fits in easier!

but at any rate i'd recommend making the move to RB! its an awesome engine and even stock will make your car perform like a dream!

Guest Simon

From the research i have done the RB25DET is different and may not fit under the bonnet because the air intake come over the motor rb25det.jpg any one know if it fits?

Guest Anonymous

meh.. it can be done! the rb20 and 25 are basically the same block with different components, stroke/bore..

only thing you might need is an rb20det NICS cross over pipe as i think the factory bov causes clearance problems..

trying very hard to find a good picture of it! but i cant.. bah

this is it .. but you cant really tell its in a zed..

DSC00034.JPG

I was seriously thinking about putting in an RB26....but for the price I just cant justify it.

If you want to be different, or have a cool engine, or just cant bear putting a non nissan engine in, than the RB26 could be for you, but Im not worried about any of the above...so Ive taken the RB26 from the 'possible engines' list.

I think Ill spend my money (and less of it at that) on another engine and still neck snapping power...

Guest Anonymous

yeah, the rb20det is excellent bang for buck! even with the engine in stock form (bar computer and cooler) my car is very fast! i love it! plus with only a bigger cooler & turbo you can get them doing 199rwkw (its been done - very expensive turbo and cooler - but no internal or computer changes) .. and thats in the 2 litre!

plus my mileage is excellent.. i drive to the city and back every single day and the needle barely moves! i only fill up once a week or so.. and i hardly drive around like an old granny if you know what i mean ;)