HybridZ

Info on 7m-gte

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

I have the same 7mgte swap into my '85 Supra.

Do you have any pics of that 510? That thing must be a screamer/sleeper.

Guest 240Zduz10s

wade T

i saw a guy in town with that swap it was so mean.. i like it alot .. how hard is the swap?

i know the mounts are the same for the 5m and 7m so it all comes down to wiring..

wanna sell??? ;)

Guest Anonymous

240Zduz10s, It was a conversion kit I bought from Don Cubertson who lives near Seattle. So far there's been about 7 MKII/7mgte conversion done by him and two were out of state folks. There's also some folks on the east coast doing these conversions as well.

I did mine in the summer of 2000 it took a good 4 months of pecking away. Here's what came with his kit.

Good used 7mgte engine with the correct oil pan and pick up tube

Toyota's engine rebuild gasket kit

Oil filter relocation kit

HKS metal head gasket

ARP head studs

Firewall heat sheild

1 tube of toyota's f.i.p.g.

Toyota platnum plugs

Custom brackets for factory intercooler

Factory intercooler

All intercooler plumbing

Heavy duty clutch-good to 300hp (7mge pressure plate with stock disk)

Oil cooler and lines

Replacment charcoal canister and lines

Window washer bag and hardware

Toyota oil filter

Custom sub harness built for your application and connection kit

Custom ac lines. if desired

7mgte alternator

Power steering pump and resivor

New belts

Afm

K&N filter charger

CT-26 turbo

Factory ecu

Installation manual

And here's a run down of what I did.

-Replaced the HG with the HKS metal HG.

-Machined the head.

-Ported and polished the head.

-Used the 5mge oil pump with 5mge pan (came with kit)

-Shaved the motor mounts some so the will fit on the forward location.

-Relocated the dipstick using the forward location.

-Moved the alternator harness in the engine bay (5m and 7m alts are on opposite sides)

-Installed the charcol can in a new location.

-Installed the 90 deg oil relocation kit.

-Use 7mge pressure plate which has more clamping power the the 5m one does. 7mgte pressure plate will not work.

-Installed the MKIII Supra intercooler and custom piping

-Had a 3" mandrel bent exhaust system made

-Installed 1 Tacoma head sheld on fire wall

-Installed a custom wire harness under the dash so that the 7mgte can live in the MKII. I know nothing of the wiring part as the sub harness was premade and installed by Don.

-Installed 7m a/c compressor with custom lines

-And installed some misc stuff and fabricated a few things.

The swap wasn't too bad considering at stock boost it gains about 100hp than stock. The car is quite the insane sleeper at 3000 pounds with 4.30 rear end. I dynoed it last summer where it hit 291rwhp and 332rwtq. Here's a pic of it:

My 7mgte MKII

And last, check out the MKII Supra mailing list if you would like to learn more about these wonderfull cars. smile.gif

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mk2/

Sorry for such a long post.

-Wade

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by BLKMGK:

You guys see the 700+ RWHP 7MGTE posted over on SupraForums? Dyno vid and all hail.gif

The video was amazing! Never thought a 7m could sound like that, lol. cheers.gif

Guest 240Zduz10s

wade T

thanks for the info.. how much did just the conversion cost ?

ever since i saw that guy smoke my friends mr2 i wanted more info on this swap.

does reg reimer do a good job..(heard of him) ?

id be very interested in purchasing a completed car if you know anyone who is selling there toy send em my way..

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by 240Zduz10s:

wade T

thanks for the info.. how much did just the conversion cost ?

ever since i saw that guy smoke my friends mr2 i wanted more info on this swap.

does reg reimer do a good job..(heard of him) ?

id be very interested in purchasing a completed car if you know anyone who is selling there toy send em my way..

The conversion kit costed about $3500 and $4000 by the time I had the exhaust, machine work and other misc stuff bought/done.

Yeah, I've heard of Reg. His artical was my the fuel for doing my swap. Infact, I was going to buy his Harness kit till I found Don's kit here in Seattle.

As for a complete running car, I have heard Don talk about providing this very thing. You might try contacting him @ www.nix99.com or call 800-782-0682 Ask for Don Cubertson.

-w

Guest 240Zduz10s

what does the 6m come out of ?? what kinda power does it make stock?

blkmgk:

that 1jz supra would be cool its just too bad the mk iii are so heavy ... alot more fun in a 240 smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

A 6m is is a stroked 5m using a 6m crank. The 6m crank is the same crank thats in a 7m. This engine was what came with MKII Supra in Japan while the US got the 5m. It makes about 180-190 crank horse power in N/A form. The problem with the 6m is that your limited by it's stock fuel system and ecu. I have yet to hear of a 5m/6mgte running more than 10psi with out a ton of $$$ dumped into it. The 7mgte is built for boost.

Originally posted by 240Zduz10s:

what does the 6m come out of ?? what kinda power does it make stock?

blkmgk:

that 1jz supra would be cool its just too bad the mk iii are so heavy ... alot more fun in a 240 smile.gif

Wade,

Sorry for the delay. You can see a couple of photos at http://www.Fiveoneoh.com in the Shasta 2002 pix link on the bottom row--primer wagon. My car dyno'd at 322 rwhp. Hope to get some more pix and the dyno chart up on a 510 site soon.

--Also a couple of photos at

http://www.sromagazine.com/gallery/index.php

hit Shasta 2002 and go to page 27.

Anthony

Guest Anonymous

Nice work Anothony! :D I have always loved that 510 body and with 7mgte, even more so! Very nice custom intake manifold too. hail.gif

-w

Wade,

Thanks. I fabricated the manifold out of 1/8 inch thick aluminum which doesn't make it very light but did make welding alot easier. I used the stock Toyota flange and about an inch of the runners because of space constraints. I don't think I get as much torque as the stock intake as the runners are so much shorter but the hp is still going up at redline on the dyno graph.

--Some day I hope to get some nice shiny paint like your car but I keep upgrading things mechanically--hopefully coming to the end of that soon.--Looks like your conversion is really clean also.

Anthony