HybridZ

I think I've created a monster

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I took my son with me when I was scouting out various Z-cars for an IRS setup to put in my '66 Mustang. He has a 2.8L with 700-R4 Camaro that was stolen and set on fire before it was recovered. Now he's hooked on Z's and wants to find one and install his Camaro's motor and trans. (They are fine and were rebuilt shortly before it was stolen.) He's not interested in ultimate performance; just something sporty and reliable that he can say he built himself and a way to recoup part of the money spent on the Camaro. Is there anything we should be wary of in looking for a project car such as areas prone to rust?

I've usally found rust behind rear wheel wells and on the inside rear of the front wheel(along with below & around battery box). You also may find rust on the front passenger and driver side floor pans (from water running down from a leaky windshield). A guy in Edmond had a few Z's sitting behind his business. I bought a few last year. I noticed a few 280's without to much rust still there (if he hasen't sold them yet). What part of Oklahoma are you from?

Len

2.8l is 2.8l right? I like to refer to the GM 2.8 as a grenade with the pin out. It may not go off right now, but sooner or later, BOOM! Get yourself a low mileage NISSAN 2.8 powered car and not only will you not have to fab the exhausts, motor mounts, etc., but it will be smoother than the GM 60 v6, make better torque and horsepower and will last eons in comparison. Sell your 2.8 to somebody with an S10 Blazer who blew theirs up. Or just score a $500 4x4 Blazer and put the 2.8 in there and have the cheap driver! (There are oodles of S10 Blazers around because of the GM 2.8s ability to break crankshafts...)