HybridZ

Datson Roadsters...

ImportRacer

Ok well I havent been posting in awhile but its about time for me to start building a project car. Since almost all the 240z's I looked at were a little to much for a project car I started thinking about building up a roadster. Anyone on here ever swap anything into one? Are they are easy too play with as 240's? Any info is good info. I havent decided yet what engine I am going to use (Thread: Best motor for a roadrace car) For this car though I will probably be looking at a 1jz(if it isnt to big), a 13BT, a 3SGTE, or a 4G63...

Guest MarksM

I had one of those. I'm not sure a V8 would fit but a nice V6 should settle in easily. They also have the blessing of a full frame.

A Fairlady Roadster with a Buick Turbo 6 would be really sweet.

Guest Anonymous

We have a member that comes here from time to time thats doing that very swap. He's putting a GN motor in a roadster. A SR20, or Rotary would be a kick in the head too. :D

Its a small engine bay so it'd have to be a smaller engine for sure I'd imagine.

Regards,

Lone

ocasionally you see roadsters with those british-olds 215 cid v8s, ford 302/289, ive seen gn motors, no rotarys though. there is a guy that runs autox up here that has a vg30dett in his roadster, keeps blowing up the drivetrain though. i would do a roadster, but the parts are expensive and dont swap over as nicely as the zcars like to, thats my big problem with them, otherwise they are pretty bad ass, theres an sr20 writeup on eric neyerlins site zparts.com, its an extremely well done conversion, looks factory nice.

Guest Anonymous

I would go the 13b turbo cos its better for the space not all that costly and as people have said its not realy been done before. i do know people have put 13b's in just about evereything so im sure that somewhere someone has done it. if you do consider the swap and want to find some places you can go to get info on swaping those i know there are a few places in NSW and VIC in australia that drop 12a's and some 13b's in old VW's and also a few other cars so im sure they would be a good source of info for those types of engines.

So I guess I would be testing new water if I put a 13bT in there, a 1jz probably wouldnt fit. Anyone know a site where I could find out some more info on the car or parts for them? I was wondering if it would be possible to do a widebody on one...the tires on those cars have to be extremly small and it doesnt look like there is much room to go bigger.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had 2 of those. Make sure you get a 1600 and not a 2000. The 1600 is an overhead valve engine and overheats warping the head, so it's a good donor. The 2000 is an overhead cam/5 speed like the Z and is too valuable to destroy. Also, the pre 68 has a low, bolt on windshield and the 68 up ha a high body color windshield.

There were some rarly done rotary swaps done in the past, but rotary's & Roadsters are dwindling now. Never seen a turbo done though. I'd love to see someone do it here. I have talked with someone in Canada who sent some pics of swaps up there.

Not only does the Roadster have a full frame, it has a HUGE X connecting the 2 frame rails to each other. It would tolerate 500+ hp easily. No b.s.

I swapped a 2.3 for the old technology turbo mustang/capri back in 80s into a 1967 1600. When it cracked the head, I set a sbc in the engine compartment and it fit right in. The steering shaft would have to be worked over and a remote oil cooler would need to be used. Also, the exhaust runs through the X portion, so an additional hole would have to be sectioned into the X. I wouldn't recommend it for the balance issues, but would be a nice overkill project. The turbo rotary is the better choice.

Doug.

I'd look at the 3SGTE. You want to keep it all light and compact. Its not an IRS car and I wouldn't go adding a bunch of wt to it (like a SBC) or you won't be able to toss it around and it will lose its fun factor. You might be surprised with the performance of a 2000 Roadster as-is. I had a 1600 and it needed more power. I bought a 2000 crank and rods to stroke it to 2000 specs (same bore), even though it would be OHV rather than OHC. The 1600 heads do warp. See if chassis components are beefier (springs, sway bars, brakes, etc) for the 2000 vs the 1600 cars. DAW

I have a '67.5 1600 that I've swapped an SR20 turbo into. I am just finishing up the stand alone system right now. I had an FJ20 (two liter twin cam '80's Skyline motor) in it up to this point. The cars are a blast and I'm pretty excited about the new motor. It also sports a Nismo suspension, carbon fiber dash, Autometer gauges, and I'm also in the middle of fitting Porsche 944 turbo front brakes and Skyline GT-R rears. I don't have a web site at the moment, but I'd be happy to send a couple of pics to any one interested.

Guest GreenZ

I just sold my roadster. I had an early 67 (low windshield) with the 1600. I wanted to do an sr20 DET swap from a Japan Silvia. I saw one done up in a magazine and it was pretty fast.

JB

1977 British Racing Green 280 Z

1977 Yellow 280 ZT project

1983 280 ZXT

There was an article about an year ago in Turbo magazine about a guy who put turbo engine in rodster .I think he had 240sx 4 cyl engine.I am sure i have this article at home,i'll try to find it and send you a copy if you are interesting.If so send me e-mail to HitScan@aol.com.

I never saw this swap, but 2 yrs ago or so, someone sent me pics of some cars at a Roadster show in Canada. It was somebody off Zcar. The post claimed a sbc swap and a Jag V12 swap, each in 1600s were present. Possible but I don't know about the Jag. humm.

can someone send me the sr20det pics in the roadster, i'm currently trying to find a mostly rust free roadster here in australia, and i would sell the Z for a roadster and drop a SR20det in there no problem, but a Rb for the Z is just as tempting

thanks for those pictures...

can i asked how you mounted it up, custom mounts etc, also is there plenty of hood clearance..

also, what rear end are you using, i'm not sure what rear end the roadster's have.. if they are a R180-R160 i'm sure a R200 will be able to bolt up with little problems...

roadsters are different from any of their brethren, they run a solid axle, some had ohc;s and some ahd ohv's, but hey a ford nine would be a great replacement in that sucker, and would make for some great piece of mind knowing you can beat on it pretty good.

Guest Anonymous

If you want a solid nissan diff, There was the 84model gazelle i think you guys in the states called them s12's they came with either solid or multi, I know the solid is strong we proved it could be punished drifting with 280hp. but might be rare for you