HybridZ

M3 Motors??

PETEW

I was just wondering if anyone hs looked into these engines as a possible power source. I thought that since they were inline motors and powerful ones at that, they would be a great engine for the Z. I know they won't be the easiest engine (or the cheapest)to get a hold of, but they are a bulletproof motor that has 315hp, now. Being that it is an inline motor I thought that it would be an easier install than some of the other engine choices, and also there are bunch of aftermarket parts for it, and you can get parts for it in the states unlike the Skline motors and other jap/euro specific motors. Any thoughts???

Check a few posts down for "Here's a fun swap donor". I wouldn't want one of the new M3 engines, but if I was given one, I would take it!

If I was to get an M3 engine, it would be from an E36 and turbo the sucker. European Car was making 355 hp and 358 ft.lbs. with 10 psi. on pump gas! With 104 octane they hit over 400 ft.lbs. with 13 psi. This is just a killer, race proven, reliable engine. Then again, the L28 turbo is almost the same power wise and reliable to boot.

!M!

The M3 motor and its associated electronic systems is a magnificent piece of machinery. I would never begin to tell you that the expense and trouble of what you suggest is not worth the effort, but I will say that these motors are highly integrated into the car body, relying on mulitple computers and inputs to operate properly. Removing one from it's host and implanting it into a donor car would be a gold plated BITCH to say the least. But should you achieve it, you'd no doubt have the slickest 240 on the planet! The only logical reason you should do it, however, is for the "cool" factor. You could get more reliable horsepower from a V8 (or even a Nissan turbo) for 1/3 the money, but then it still wouldn't have the liquid smoothness or the panache of the BMW transplant, would it?

If anyone ever does manage to build a Z with a BMW engine, I want to drive it!!!!!

The Bimmer motor is cool, but the cost of a donor is absurd. You could get a 2.8l motor from a 328 and hop it up, but just can't compare to the power per dollar of a SBC. I have considered the new trailblazer/envoy all aluminum 4.2L DOHC 6 @ 275hp as a swap candidate. I'm sure quite a few soccer mom's will be putting them on their lids this winter...

Guest Zachb55

haha, very true, that would be a sweet swap too, but as you get into these newer motors like someone previously stated, when you take it from its built environment then throw it into a z, your going to have to cut off a bunch of its little sensors that do all those things that make cars these days different from cars of the past, but if you did take the time to get all of its new age electronics sorted out you would have one "tight" ride.

-Zach