HybridZ

Transmission whine or diff whine?

I recently bought a 1983 280zx as a parts car for my well worn 280z. I installed a new clutch kit, the 5 speed, and differential. I made sure to fill the trans with GL-4 SAE 90, and the diff with gl5 75-90.

In all gears, there is a rpm whine that gets higher pitch as the rpms increase. It sounds kind of like an electric car 😂. I am inclined to not think it is the differential because every time I shift the whine goes back to its sound at low rpm. It does not happen when the clutch is in so its not the throwout bearing. 

Doesn't that mean it is the transmission? I made sure to grease the splines of the input shaft when I put it in. Pilot bearing? 

Did you ever drive the donor car before taking the parts off to install on your 280Z?  What did the fluid look like while draining the fluid?  You have any jack stands or somebody with a lift?  Lift the car and run thru the gears, see where the noise is coming from.  It could be your throw out bearing if not installed correctly.

Edited by silverado22c

3 minutes ago, silverado22c said:

Did you ever drive the donor car before taking the parts off to install on your 280Z?  You have any jack stands or somebody with a lift?  Lift the car and run thru the gears, see where the noise is coming from.  It could be your throw out bearing if not installed correctly.  From your other thread picture, it looks the throw out bearing may be installed the wrong way, needing to be flipped.  Also do not press on the outer race, only pressing it on, on the inner race.

If the throwout bearing is in backwards, how would that cause a whine when the clutch is engaged? When I press the clutch in and rev the engine there is no whine. 

10 minutes ago, pochie45566 said:

If the throwout bearing is in backwards, how would that cause a whine when the clutch is engaged? When I press the clutch in and rev the engine there is no whine. 

I had to look again and it seems correctly installed by you in the picture.  Sorry, got it all mixed up.  I don't think it is the throw out bearing, like you said as well.  Got mixed up trying to look over info from the manuals and other sites to help you out.

Edited by silverado22c

So the best thing to do is lift the car and have someone else run the vehicle.  And hopefully be able to hear it.  I've used an automotive stethoscope to help pinpoint the noises a bit better and also chassis ears when I worked in a shop.  If you don't feel comfortable under a vehicle that is running, you could try spinning the wheels by hand, but may not be fast enough to hear a whine.