HybridZ

2.6 liter mitsubitshi from conquest or starion

ninja240z

I have a conquest non TSI that I am bored with. It weights just a little over 3000 lbs. It is fairly fast with good top end power. It is RWD with a turbo and an intercooler. This turbo engine is rated at 188 hp with no mods. I don't think this engine weighs as much as the L28 but it definitely has more horsepower. It is also a 2.6 liter 4 cylinder and very dependable. The price of these cars are very cheap and they are under rated. The same engine naturally aspirated came in ram 50 trucks. I am going to attempt this swap this spring or summer. I was wondering if anyone has considered doing the same swap. cheers.gif

Ninja - Well I have never seen a Starion motor in a Z. Even though in stock form they have a little more hp than a stock L28ET, they definately do not have the same tuning potential as the L28ET. The 2.6L Mitusbishi engine just does not breathe very well and have many inherent problmes, and I know several people are extracting some impressive horsepower from these 4cylinders but it comes at an extrememly high cost. The effort required to drop this motor into your Z, you would be better off developing a L28ET, which if you scour the scrap yard you can get cheaply.

If you do decide to still go with this engine swap, let us know how its goes and how it runs. Good luck either way.

Regards - Yasin

I think it could be a good swap. The Conquest/Starion 2.6 turbo has a front sump pan but you could easily adapt a truck pan (if these are rear sump).

The sore spots on these engines are the cyl heads which are prone to cracking between the in & ex valves, and the lack of multi-port injection (they have throttle body, 2 injector systems). There are aftermarket bare heads (without jet-valves) available that aren't crack-prone, and there are aftermarket MPI manifolds/systems available (search DSM websites).

Granted, multivalve-head Mitsubishi engines would be a better choice, as would several other engines, but you already have the 2.6 so do the $math and decide which makes more sense for your situation. DAW

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

True the 2.6 mitsu was the first jap engine to run in the 7's in the US but those guys where Puerto Rican and they could make anything happen. I wouldn't use a 2.6 mitsu in place of a L28 in any car, hell you should swap a VG30 into the Starion if you whant to see a neat swap. I've had 3 Conquest and they are nice rides but get real buddy if you go threw the trouble do it on a engine a little more modern, 4valve DOHC.

Guest Z-rific

I'm with these guys. If you're gonna drop a turbo enigine, I think you have better choices.

The 2.0L turbo engine from late 90's Talons and Eclipses runs 210HP stock. Would require some major fabbing.

The Buick turbo V6 has been done a few times and seems much more straightforward, and a lot of HP potential.

The ZXT engine is also capable of some nice HP if done right and is the easiest swap.

But, if you already have the engine and can afford a few mods, it would be an interesting swap. I'm not real familiar with that engine/tranny combo, but I'd assume a ton of fabrication.