HybridZ

Yamaha 3.0L V-6 out of a Ford SHO

Guest GillSS1

Guest GillSS1

Thanks for the info. I have been there, and it is a good resource. Has anyone put one of these engines in their Z? With a super charger it will put out 350hp at the wheels. That would make for a rather potent Z car...

Thanks

Andy

burnout.gif

Guest GillSS1

Thanks for the reply. I still love driving my SHO and it will scream up to about 7500 RPM before the rev limiter cuts in.

In my research (see link below)I have found that the entire intake runner system is symetrical. This allows the intake to be rotated 180 degrees. With a little work (either take the timing belt cover off or make some spacers to raise the intake a little)this puts the air box by the radiator. Everywhere I have found a SHO transplant, they have used a bellhousing from an 87 ford Aerostar van with a 3.0L in it. This with an adaptor plate mounts up to a T-5 transmission out of a 94 GT mustang. By the look of things it should be a fairly straight forward swap. I have the entire SHO, so I can get the wiring and computer as well.

Thanks for all the advise and comments, keep it coming!

Andy

Healey SHO swap

GillSS1 - Cool and interesting swap - good luck and let us know how you do and progress.

RacerX - Interesting read, pity you don't have any pics to share with us. But sounds like the SHO motor (especially twin turbo'd) would make a pretty awesome project, and some serious horsepower. I have always had a soft spot for the SHO and of course the Yamaha engine is definately the jewel in the package.

Regards - Yasin

Guest GillSS1

This link is a great place to find whole SHO's for sale. SHO Club Click on the classifieds and you can find an SHO of what ever year that you want. There are some fairly good priced ones as well. THe 89-early 93 all had 5 speeds in them and after that it was automatic only.

Andy

• 4 weeks later...

I sm currently doing a SHO to 260z conversion. I right now I am just starting on the wiring harness and there is quite a bit of wiring in the harness. I will be using a T5 trans on this convesion. From what I have learned so far is that the wiring is more intiminating than it really is. Mechanicaly the biggest thing appears is that the cooling comes off of the back of the motor.

Guest GillSS1

Thanks for the reply. The SHO is a fun car but I think that a SHO powered Z would be a ball. Please let me know how things are going. I am getting the pieces together to do one of my 240's.

Happy new year,

Andy

burnout.gif