HybridZ

VG30DET into an 87 Z31

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm lookin in to doing a swap. I'll skip the normal questions of how hard and other things... What I need to know is does anyone know where I can get all I'm gonna need for this swap. (I.E. wires, ecu, tranny, mounts, etc) and does anyone know if there has to be any remodling to the engin bay (cutting, dingin, etc)

XXtacy

cheers.gif

(I.E. wires, ecu, tranny, mounts, etc) and does anyone know if there has to be any remodling to the engin bay (cutting, dingin, etc)

i think (but don't quote me on this) that your wiring harness from a N/A might fit a turbo. ask red october over at zcar.com.

as far as everything else, i belive the pasangers side engine mount is fine where it is but drivers side will need to be moved foward. but besides that it pretty much just bolts in.

Guest Anonymous

VG30DET is about 100+ more hp than a vg30et and about 140hp + than an vg30 (na) The Vg30det will bolt directly in. It came in 89z31T(japan only). I suggest at least an 87-89 Turbo ECU. but would prefer an aftermarket like SDS or TEC3 or sumthin. Any way the Vg30det is very NICE DOHC and turbo ! sweet good luck its an easy swap bolts in ! only in CA i cant do it to my 85T (bastards !) Peace !

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback, I'll keep that in mind. I was about to change my mind, but if I can find 87-9 plennum and ecu, then it's a done deal. Someone sent me a message for one for about $800. So I'll see. Thanks everyone for the VERY helpful info.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000
VG30DET is about 100+ more hp than a vg30et and about 140hp + than an vg30 (na) The Vg30det will bolt directly in. It came in 89z31T(japan only). I suggest at least an 87-89 Turbo ECU. but would prefer an aftermarket like SDS or TEC3 or sumthin. Any way the Vg30det is very NICE DOHC and turbo ! sweet good luck its an easy swap bolts in ! only in CA i cant do it to my 85T (bastards !) Peace !

I've heard the VG30DET needs an ECU from a Z32 (90-95), since the Z32 has the VG30DE series engines. The VG30DET and the VG30DETT are very similar from what I hear, except that the DET is single turbo, while the DETT is twin turbo.

The electronics on the VG30E series engine (Z31) is completely different.

yeah, i also heard that you need the z32 ecu. my friend is putting one of these in his 280z. he called jim wolf and they said they've done a few. if if remember correctly they said you need the ecu and wiring harness out of a 90-94 NA 300zx. you send JWT your ecu and they will program it for the vg30det engine.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DaneL24

I have never done this swap myself, I'm actually a lot more familiar with the '70-'83 cars. I have done a little research on the later zcars though, and have read from other sources (zcar.com) that the VG30DET won't bolt right in to the '84-'89 300ZX. I could be mistaken but this is what I have read.

Would it be possible to just get the heads, manifolds, turbo, and exhaust from a VG30DET and bolt them onto your current motor. If the head bolts do match up, it would allow you to avoid the issue of motor mounts matching up. The heads are all that really separate this motor from the early V6 anyways...displacement is the same. You might have to swap pistons for a lower compression ratio.

I just think a head swap would save a lot of trouble as opposed to a whole motor swap...if the later style heads bolt on that is. If it does work, you could just keep the heads and sell the VG30DET shortblock, make a little money in retuen.

i thought the VG30ET and VG30DET(T) had the exact same block. The only difference i know of is the VG30DET(T) has oil squirters on the pistons or somthing like that. I can go take a look at my friend's DET and compare it to my ET and see what kind of difference i can find. I think the main problem is the DOHC heads make it a bit wide which then forces you to make the engine bay a little wider or something a long those lines. The DET would be the best choice, in my opinion, because i think it has a little more potential than the TT (the DET has bigger ports on the heads), single turbo will cost less to upgrade compared to buying double of everything, and it is a lot smaller because the intake doesn't stick out so much.

Guest Anonymous

if the blocks are "exactly" the same as far as bolting up , are the internals close enough to use parts for the for TT such as stroker kits, rods, cams/gears etc? Sorry for all the newbie sounding questions, I've never built an engine before but I am really considering giving it a shot with my brothers help this later this summer/fall and trying to learn what I can do with what before i pick and engine and reading the web I've actually managed to learn more about the RB series engines that the VG's lol.

you can swap the pistons and rods between the ET and TT engine (i'm sure it goes the same for the det engine also). I hear you can even change the crank from the two but you just need to mill the TT crank down a little bit to work properly in the ET. If you want it cheap and easy, build a VG30ET. You can get a good amount of power out of those. With the TT internals you can support about 600 hp. JWT also has a kit set up to supply enough fuel for 450 hp but i'm sure you can get them to put something together to get more.

Guest Anonymous

I'm glad I learned that, if I can use the internals etc, I might end up doing something like a VG30ET stroker or something, I was looking at RB's they are really great engines, but i haven't found a place that will strip parts or set up custom packages, so if i went RB i'd probally go with a RB20 stroker can't really justify going RB26 and needing two front clips, one for the engine and one for the transmission. but i do have a friend in Aust. and she said her and her brother could help get me RB parts lol so never know.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000
i do not think there is enough of a differance.

i know they are a bit more HP. but alos of people who do the swap still use the VG30ET upper plennum. for convinance of the MAF piping.

They are completely different engines. The VG30E series is a SOHC engine, and the VG30DE series is a DOHC engine. You cannot exchange upper plenums for obvious reasons.

Guest MegaShaft_2000

The Z31 never had the VG30DET.

The 89 300ZX with the VG30DE engine you are thinking about was the 300ZR. But it was the VG30DE, and not the VG30DET.

Here's a rundown of the different models of Z31 with the engines they used:

200Z, 200ZS, 200ZG- VG20ET (V6 single cam turbo 170ps(gross)) Japan Only

200ZR- RB20DET (in-line 6 twin cam turbo 180ps(net)) Japan Only

300ZX Turbo- VG30ET (V6 single cam turbo 195ps(net) 230ps(gross))

300ZX- VG30E- (V6 single cam non-turbo)

300ZR VG30DE (V6 twin cam no turbo 190ps(net)) Japan Only

http://www.fsinet.or.jp/~ranfa/myfairlady-e.htm