HybridZ

VG30DET into an 87 Z31

Guest Anonymous

Guest MegaShaft_2000

You can use some of the internals from the VG30DE series engines, but even though the blocks look almost the same the head bolts will not line up, so you won't be able to swap heads.

This has been covered on z31.com, so you might find some info over there.

• 1 year later...

Brainspiller is a techie guy (search on z31.com) He has completed a VG30DET conversion to the earlier body style. Keep in mind his car and the engine were both Right Hand Drive (RHD ) originally. He ran into the problem of the starter alignment too. The driver's side engine mount is different according to him and he used a standalone ECU management system. His claim was that the replacement VG30DET engine was cheaper in AUST to buy and more costly to install than a VG30ET std turbo Z31 engine. Personally, I believe if you swap the Flywheels and re-drill the 6 mounting bolts in the original 4 bolt Z31 flywheel, it eliminates a lot of the starter re-positioning and you can still use the original Z31 starter without having to grind on the transmission case. I have both engines here and a used Z31 5 speed and intend to try to bolt up the trans. to the VG30DET engine and to use a TT ECU and wiring harness. Or the original VG30DET ECU TT wiring harness and go from there. You can also go the Jim Wolf Tech route and re-program the ECU for a VG30DET engine and 5 speed combination. Engloid is another techie on Z31.com and he is experimenting with a VG30DET Swap too (search on Z31.com

Josh Cayetano, West coast US Guy claims to have done the conversion. He bought a Z car clip from Japan which included the ECU, the wiring harness and then bought the VG30DET here in US. Wish he would contact me again. I lost his email address in a computer crash. Pdfflyer

I thought some of the Z31 cars DID come with the VG30DET? I may be mistaken tho. I recall reading a site that stated the non turbo 89 Z31 had more HP than the previous year turbo and that the singlew turbo version had 250ps. oh well.

on a side note, the blocks may LOOK the same from the outside, but the SOHC heads have 5 headbolts a peice holding them to the block in a 5 pointed star pattern, the DOHC block has the more standard 4 square headbolt arrangement. not even close to fitting.

What can anyone in this thread tell me about transmission interchange-ability between the DOHC and SOHC blocks? I want to use the SOHC transmission on a DOHC block. starter placement being the obvious problem, anything elses? will it bolt up?

I know a guy that is using DE cranks, rods and flywheels in VG33E blocks. has to have the flywheel machined to accept a Z31 starter ring gear, but other than that, it works fine.

that brings up another option for people looking at a Z31 engine swap. pathfinder/xterra/fronteir VG33E. just bolt all your turbo stuff on and go. 10% bump in HP just from displacement. also, rumor has it the heads flow better than VG30 heads.

McAdam

• 1 month later...
Guest tlmainiac

i am doing this swap now.you cannot use anything for the vg30et for the det.you can use the z32 na harness and ecu but why?go standalone.i will be using the microtech lt12 which can control the factory coils and vvt.you will need a trans from a z32 and oil pan as well(unless yours comes with a rear sump pan).the pass side mount is verry cloce but dosent leave enough clearance at the oilpan and rack needs to be back about 1/2".

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aussiezed

I did this conversion on my jap model 84 fairlady z hardtop which originally had a vg20et and 5 speed. It was a few rears ago so my memory is a bit fuzzy on some of the mods required. I purchased the motor with a complete engine loom and ecu/airflowmeter and auto trans {which I discarded]. The vg20 engine mount brackets bolt straight on to the block although I remember doing some minor clearancing on the left side mount for some reason. I used the vg20 sump and oil pickup pipe sealing the sump with nissan silicone type sealant. The front 4 bolt holes need to be elongated a bit as the det oil pump is longer. I had a chromemoly flywheel made as the det has 8 securing bolts as opposed to 6 and used the vg20 ring gear so as to keep the original 5w71c gearbox and standard starter motor position and wiring.I had the flywheel made for a skyline pressure plate bolt pattern and used a 1100 kg button clutch. Some minor mods to the exhaust were required to line it up with the dump pipe . The heater hoses were similar to stock location as were top and bottom rad hose locations and had a short radiator cap pipe made for the top hose outlet and used the stock radiator. i used the det p/steer pump{left side of engine} and alternator{ right side } so I could use the det belts and tensioners and mounting brackets . I left the p/s reservoir in standard position and made a feed pipe to the pump and used a z31 rb20det p/s high pressure pipe/hose from the pump to the rack. The most time consumimg part was sorting out the wiring which took a few days with a multimeter and z32 vg30dett wiring diagram which is similar but not the same as the vg30det such as different impedence injectors , no knock sensor, different iacv etc... but the main wires for powering up the ecu, coils, injectors and fuel pump relay etc are very similar in fact most nissan ecus are the same from this era with a few functions deleted here and there depending on model/engine.There are 2 ecu versions early { 2 or 3 black connectors, similar looking to a vg30et} and late { 1 blue connector with provision for plugging in consult scanner tool}. Mine was the later version. I also had to remove the plenum to get to the injectors to renew the harness pins as they were corroded and some had no continuity. Being a manual the speed sensor imput for the ecu is not required . The only thing I haven't done is sort out the tacho as it is for a single coil setup. I think that covers most things about this conversion . I also replaced the water pump { about 14mm longer than z32}, the cam belt and the tensioner /idler bearings as a precaution as the motor had done about 80000km. After driving it daily for about a year with no problems I fitted a r32 gtr intercooler , t3/t4 turbo {h3 trim .70 t04b comp, stage 3 .63 a/r turbine, 35 mm external wastegate} 2 extra injectors with a microtech mt2 , safc, bigger fuel pump 80mm exhaust from turbo and still have had no major problems except for a couple of coil failures . In hind sight I feel if the car had a vg30et to begin with the conversion may not have been worth doing as for the money spent you could get similar performance from modifying standard type engine. If theres any questions about the conversion feel free to ask.

• 3 years later...