HybridZ

78 280Z L28ET swap intake setup

Hey, new to the forum and to Datsuns. I recently picked up a 78 280z with an 83 280ZX turbo swapped in. Just finishing some tune-up stuff and then I'll be looking at doing some performance upgrades.

The previous owner built a new intake to move the AFM and filter in front of the radiator. I want to add an intercooler, but I'll need to relocate the AFM and air filter. I would like to keep them out in front of the rad.

If anyone has suggestions on how they ran their intake with an intercooler I would love to see it.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

I don’t have any pics of the engine bay, but 18 years ago I finished a 71’ with an L28et. Put a custom piped Supra IV intercooler in front of the radiator and used the two circular pass-through’s tot he left and right of the radiator for the plumbing. If you are trying to avoid cutting/welding, I would either custom route your intake to just below the radiator (if the car isn’t lowered too much). Otherwise, you could keep the inline filter near the turbo and custom route some ducting for cold air.

honestly I just had a 4” intake pipe 12” long with a K&N on it, just to get past the exhaust manifold. Never bothered ducting a cold air intake.