HybridZ

Let's talk driveline angle.

Derek

• 1 year later...
On 9/8/2020 at 4:05 PM, grannyknot said:

I had no idea the stock angle was so much, trucks sometimes have a lot more than that but generally they are not going very fast.  I always shoot for anything between 1 degree but no more than 2.5 and as parallel as I can make the trans and diff.  RT's mount is great in that you can shorten or extend the snubber to find the right angle, the transmission is a lot harder to point than the diff.

Now you're going to laugh but it works very well, the bmw trans is different that the Datsun 5spd so I had to have room to lower the diff to get a good angle.  This rear cross member started out as just a stop gap solution so I could test the angle and keep the progress moving but it worked so well I welded it properly and it has thousands of miles on it now.

DSCN0625.JPG

I ended up with something similar to the above once I got away from the factory mount and used an RT mount and shims. I notched the stock cross member for clearance so the pinion could go down further to reflect the angle of the T56 in my 240 using an angle gauge like below. 

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

The way I did it only looks at how close to the same vertical angle the flanges are at each end of the drive shaft. All this to eliminate driveline vibration at speed.