HybridZ

1983 280zx NA was running extremely rich and missfiring. Now not even starting.

Aidan Eglin

Hi all!

first off, thanks in advance for any help.

so I recently bought a Z in poor running condition. It burned fuel like a trucker, almost 25L/100km. I had it on blocks for about 3 months while I did other maintenance to the car. This included replacing the fuel pump, which was on its last legs of life. 

the first time starting it up, it ran extremely poorly. Misfire on cylinder 1, EXTREMELY rich, and a slew of other issues. After some diagnostics I tracked at least one of the issues down to the coolant temp sensor, which I then replaced. This helped for a moment, but the engine was still running extremely rich with a very “dirty” sound. 

after letting it idle for a while, the engine died entirely. Now it won’t even start! 

ive gone through the diagnostic process in the FSM but still no luck. Any suggestions? What has worked for anyone else who has experienced something like this in the past? I would really appreciate some help in the matter! 

47 minutes ago, Aidan Eglin said:

ive gone through the diagnostic process in the FSM but still no luck. Any suggestions? What has worked for anyone else who has experienced something like this in the past? I would really appreciate some help in the matter! 

There are two levels of diagnostics.  One is just measuring simple continuity the other is taking resistance measurements.  The numbers are much better than the n.g. test.

Anyway, one thing that could be causing your problem is a blown fuel pressure regulator.  You'll only see it if you remove the vacuum hose from the FPR.  Raw fuel can pass right through it in to the manifold, if it's blown.