HybridZ

Vin number/year model

Info you need is on this handy chart in the link. It's available elsewhere I think but this was the first place I found it.

Short answer - yes.

Long answer - Even without a vin you can tell by some structural changes that are easily noticeable. Top seatbell mounting point changed after '75 just after the first year of the 280, earlier cars had it mounted to the B pillars, later cars had it mounted on the strut towers, the taillights changed to the later style for the 260z, the 240z had a shorter radiater and accompanying shorter (not as low to the ground) lower radiator support. later models had taller rear strut towers which are noticeably different. The late (77/78) 280z had a completely different rear deck that was sort of an elevated platform and used a space saver instead of full sized spare. 

Even within the 240z models, in 73 they moved to the bulkier bumper mounts that made the bumper stick out more instead of relatively flush like the earliest models. Hope that helps. If you post pics I'm sure most people here could tell unless there have been extensive exterior and interior mods. 

https://jdm-car-parts.com/blogs/news/vin-verification-of-us-datsun-240z-260z-280z-280zx