HybridZ

TwinTurbo Header Pics

Well, I have done the rough fitment and weld of the rear turbo setup. I should have it completed tomorrow by midday. I will have the front finished by next Tuesday. Anyway, not the most fun thing I have done, but a learning experience for the front turbo. You will notice that I used a boring bar to bore out 1.75" diameter x .170" depth into each port so that the SS tube would fit into the header flange and give a more secure fit for welding. Anyway, almost 1/2 way there and will post the pics of the finished rear stuff tomorrow.

ttheader1.jpg

ttheader2.jpg

Did you say kit? CHUCKLE! Actually, I am sending this header to my buddy Marcus and he is going to make a jig for the header in case someone wants one. I will not do downpipes at this point and it would be header alone. So to answer the question, yes this header will be available for purchase in the near future.

The flange is 5/8" from Clifford Performance for $49 and seems to be hot rolled steel. The tubing is .065" 304 Stainless and the turbo flange is 1/2" cold roll steel. I used 309 rod to weld the SS to steel and either 308 or 316 rod for SS to SS. I called several header companies that make good turbo headers and they all said not to use SS for the Header flange because it is too brittle. Alot of turbo headers use mild steel flanges and SS pipe. Trust me, I would not have done it if I didn't know and had not researched it. As far as the welds, they are all heli-ark's(spelling). I put a nice bevel on all the edges and then grinded them and whiped them with Acetone. Not too difficult, but time consuming. I just finished the rear and will post pics of it on my car with the rear turbo.