HybridZ

1972 Brake Master Cylinder Front/Rear Direction

Hi everyone, I've tried searching, but it's been a bit difficult to sift through so much noise.

I'm trying to confirm if the master cylinders on 1972 models have the front brake lines closer towards the booster and are towards the front of the car?

Here's some info about my situation.

• I have a 1972 with 11/71 build date.
  • The master cylinder on the car right now has the larger reservoir closer to the booster indicating that this should be the front lines.
  • However, the 1972 FSM photo shows the larger reservoir closer towards the front of the car (indicating the front brake lines are closer towards the car).
  • My master cylinder has no "F" or "R" casting marks, non-OEM brake caps, and appears to be too clean for a 50 year car. This points to it being replaced before and I want to rule out that someone fiddled with the reservoirs.

Please help me confirm which brake lines on the 1972 brake master cylinder should be front and rear. Thank you!!

1972 FSM Master Cylinder.png

Identify the hard line that connects the MC to the front brakes.  Relocate the larger reservoir to the MC section that has the front hard line connected to it.  Be sure the clamps that hold the larger reservoirs on are tight.

Done.