HybridZ

N42 block sonic test results

AydinZ71

Hi all!

Got the results back on sonic testing my N42 (early L28) core. Copy-paste from my machine shop (Mountune, race engine shop here in Southern California). 

“So we are seeing .160" in a few places on non thrust sections of the bore. 

Our view is this is about the minimum thickness on a turbo engine.  We would not go more
than another 0.010"  and .020" on an NA engine. 

Thrust areas are .305" to .196". “

Other than the .16 non-thrust thickness, overall I’m encouraged with the results. 

Keep in mind, although the machinists in the shop have experience with L-series, they don’t have experience “pushing the envelope” on these engines. They (re)build race engines for Honda, and specialize in custom made Ford Cosworth crate race engines. 

NA application: Based on the forums direct first-hand experience on engine wall thicknesses, what are your thoughts on overbore? It seems they are recommending no more than 0.02”R, or +1mm dia. 

With the wall thicknesses provided, do you feel they are being a little conservative? How far would you go? 

Turbo: if I chose to use the block for my upcoming turbo project, I will not be boring at all. The extra stroke will help with low-end spool and the extra displacement from boring is not worth the risk.