HybridZ

Comparing turbos-TD04L vs. T3

Mike C

I have a mitsubishi TD04L turbo and stock cast iron ZXt exhaust manifold. How does this compare with the garret T3 stock turbo? Info I can find on the TD04L is 360cfm@15psi, will this work OK with the OEM 2.8 motor/injector setup? I am still looking for a donor car... I've ordered one book to try and get a handle on this forced induction business, but any help much aprreciated!

[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: Mike C ]

MIke,

Surely a Mitsubishi Dealer's Service Shop somewhere will have access to that Turbo's turbo map! (as Mike responds..possibly/& quit calling me Shirley).

However, I've recently formatted Hugh MacInnes Tubro formulae, from his book on turbo selection, onto Excel & if we assume that the Mitsu Turbo has:

1) 65% Comp.Efficiency

a) at your 15lbs boost

B) w/the 360cfm

Then that alone can/will & should tell us a few things about your engine (L28).

1) L28's Bore x Stroke = 3.39 x 3.11

2) Assuming an 80% Volumetric Efficiency

3) 100*F average Texas Summer Day

4) 28*Hg Absolute Atmospheric Pressure

5) 5500rpm's

6) 15lbs of Boost

My #'s indicate the L28 w/that turbo @ 15 lbs Boost is spitting out:

1) 330CFM

2) Intake Manifold Temps = 299

3) Density Ratio = 1.54

4) Pressure Ratio = 2.09

If you had an Air to Air IC that worked at 70% Efficiency your Intake Manifold Temp's would drop from 299*F to 159.8*F.

The fact that the mitsu comp is 360CFM @ 15lbs Boost indicates it may be too large for the L28 & comp.efficiency may be compromised (anyone else have any idea about that assumption?) as the L28 would need 19.5 lbs Boost before it reached 360CFM; according to my numbers anyway.

From what I've read of Hugh MacInnes's TurboCharging Book you can always swap the Comp. housing for a different A/R Ratio to increase or decrease airflow.

I'm new to turbo's so I may be off my rocker-but I think I'm shooting somewhere in the ball park (I hope); it was fun playing w/the numbers if nothing else.

Hope this helped.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still a Non-Turbo'd Inliner)

Thanks Kevin. I'm newer at it than you are! There are lots of different TD04 and I need to pinpint exactly what I have. It looks like it should work. These came from a Mexican market Cirrus I think. 2.5L? I had a friend who used to work at Jack Roush, and he sold me (cheap) 2 HPC coated $ rebuilt turbos (with integral waste gates)HPC exhaust and a couple of stock fi intakes after he sold his 260. He said he had the map so I'll hit him up again. I'm really fired up about the turbo thing, now if I could just find a donor car... I want a whole car, preferably a manual trans '82, for 12mm r200, cv half shafts, T5-I like it's gear ratios better than some of the other offerings, as well as the complete turbo motor, computer wiring etc.

To give a comparison, the 16G compressor wheel is the exact wheel that came stock in the 280zxt T3. The tip height is slightly different, but the wheel is the same. So, your TDO4 is smaller and the 16G is rated at 505cfm@15psi, but that is also a function of the TDO5 compressor housing.

Thanks. I got a copy of the turbo map (The turbo is from a Dodge stratus in mexico/south america 2.4l, 220hp @ 5600 rpm)My friend I got them from works at GM now and says this will be an excellent turbo for the l28. I'll order the book now, I saw it last week at Classic Motorbooks for $39, but Amazon has it for $24.95 if anyone else is interested.

quote:

Originally posted by turbo boy:

..,MAXIMIN BOOST by CORKY BELL..,

Turbo Boy,

"Maximin"...that's not a typo is it because I'm interested in learning up to date info & would like to purchase the book.

Please confirm "Maximin" as being correct -vs- what it sounds like it should be as in "Maximum". Thanks for pointing me (us) in the right direction.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)