HybridZ

Leaky Injector Rail and Engine Startup

Flak

You're all probably all tired of my use of this section, lol.  This is my first car, so I'm a pretty inexperienced mechanic.  Good news though, I tried starting my Z today.  It cranked, but didn't start.  I did not have any fuel pressure due to an injector leak out of my ProTunerz fuel rail.  I cranked it for a total of about 10-15 times, about 5-10 seconds each before I realized the injectors were leaking and I had no fuel pressure.  One mechanic friend I have said that flooded sparkplugs/engine could be disastrous.  Another guy from a shop nearby said that it was fine, and that the exhaust would just have black smoke from the extra fuel.  My question is: Am I ok to just fix the leak and continue to try to start it?  Or do I have to somehow drain sparkplug area?

Thanks in advance,

Flak

Removing the plugs on an L engine is so easy it would be foolish not to do it.  Take them out, disconnect the coil negative wire so that the wires don't spark and the injectors don't inject and spin the engine.  Cover the holes with rags or paper towels to collect the spray.  Beware of sparks, have a fire extinguisher handy.  Check your oil for fuel.

Injectors don't usually leak.  Sounds more like the injector circuit was grounded and the injectors were held open electrically.  Better check your wiring.  Be careful.

1 hour ago, NewZed said:

Removing the plugs on an L engine is so easy it would be foolish not to do it.  Take them out, disconnect the coil negative wire so that the wires don't spark and the injectors don't inject and spin the engine.  Cover the holes with rags or paper towels to collect the spray.  Beware of sparks, have a fire extinguisher handy.  Check your oil for fuel.

Injectors don't usually leak.  Sounds more like the injector circuit was grounded and the injectors were held open electrically.  Better check your wiring.  Be careful.

Thanks again for the help NewZed, you're a God send.  Are the injectors not supposed to be grounded?  The only ground I have near them is the one that goes on the top of the intake manifold that is circled in the pic.  Also, the leak was coming from the top of the injectors if that makes a difference between stuck open and actually leaking.

IMG_20221217_002434.jpg

Edited by Flak

2 hours ago, Flak said:

ProTunerz fuel rail. 

27 minutes ago, Flak said:

the leak was coming from the top of the injectors if that makes a difference between stuck open and actually leaking.

Check the fit of the injector in the rail.

Can't tell if you're using o-ring or barb.  If it's o-ring the leak is there, if it's barb it could be around the barb threads or the fit of the hose on the barb.  But the tops of the injectors rarely leak.  It's a fuel rail leak, not an injector leak.

• 8 months later...

The ECU (engine computer) grounds the injectors. Your EFI relay, energized when you turn the key, supplies the battery voltage to the injectors. The ECU counts how many times the ignition coil sends out spark and every 3rd coil fire, the ECU grounds all the injectors and they squirt fuel. All 6 squirt at the same time. This is called gang fire fuel injection.