HybridZ

R200 stub axels question

Dale280z

I bought some stub axels that are supposed to be for a 280Z. The splines are 29 and fit into my R200. But when comparing them with ones I already have there is one big difference. The indented portion of the flanges on these new ones are a few mm smaller and do not fit into the axel adapters I am using. Any idea what these out of?

2 hours ago, Dale280z said:

The indented portion of the flanges on these new ones are a few mm smaller and do not fit into the axel adapters I am using. Any idea what these out of?

Which adapters?  What "indented" portion?  A picture would help.

I've not heard of any difference in that part of the axle.  They're all the same, the half-shafts are swappable from 240Z to 280ZX.  That locating ring is the same size across all of the Z's and ZX's, and R180's and R200's, I think.

It is supposed to be a very tight fit, like very close to zero tolerance.  A few mm is huge.  Are you sure it's not "almost there", maybe rust and crud are the problem?  Old crusty paint?  The parts look correct for the way they are supposed to work together.  Make sure that they are the same temperature.  Aluminum expands a lot more than steel.

Have you compared the dimension of the adapter ring to the raised ring of the half-shaft flange?

6 hours ago, Dale280z said:

The indented portion of the flanges on these new ones are a few mm smaller and do not fit into the axel adapters I am using.

Sorry, I missed this part.  Looks like you already compared.

No idea.  There's a guy on classiczcars.com that has many spare parts.  TerrapinZ.  He probably has a set that will work.

Best guess would be an R160.  They seem to be different, people don't call them R180 or R200 axles.  Edit - except that they are bolt-in, not clip-in.  There's a hole through the shaft.

No idea.  Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175411767044

image.png.7472c48527f767e19d04b50baa2f0c52.png

Edited by NewZed

6 minutes ago, NewZed said:

No idea.  There's a guy on classiczcars.com that has many spare parts.  TerrapinZ.  He probably has a set that will work.

24 minutes ago, NewZed said:

I've not heard of any difference in that part of the axle.  They're all the same, the half-shafts are swappable from 240Z to 280ZX.  That locating ring is the same size across all of the Z's and ZX's, and R180's and R200's, I think.

It is supposed to be a very tight fit, like very close to zero tolerance.  A few mm is huge.  Are you sure it's not "almost there", maybe rust and crud are the problem?  Old crusty paint?  The parts look correct for the way they are supposed to work together.  Make sure that they are the same temperature.  Aluminum expands a lot more than steel.

Have you compared the dimension of the adapter ring to the raised ring of the half-shaft flange?

That is what I ad finding. I have several axles, adapters, and even stock joint axles. They all fit in the old ones but not the new ones. The one that do not fit are by far cleaner than the ones that fit, no rust, no hardened grease nothing. They have all been in the same garage for weeks so temp in not an issue. I am going to try and contact the guy I bought them from. Just curious since I machined them to fit so I can't send them back.  

2 hours ago, NewZed said:

Best guess would be an R160.  They seem to be different, people don't call them R180 or R200 axles.  Edit - except that they are bolt-in, not clip-in.  There's a hole through the shaft.

I got an answer from dave kipperman the guy I got these from. He said "They came out of A early long snout R200 maybe a 74 or 75?" So who knows why they were different???? oh well they are still useable.