HybridZ

280z R200 Differential Rebuild Kit

clang280z

Hi All, 

New to HybridZ forum but not new to tinkering with my 280z.
I’m in the process of a full rotisserie restoration and trying to find a full rebuild kit for a 75 r200 long-nose. No luck so far so reaching out to see if anyone has a NOS seal kit & gasket and part number for bearings. 

Also, anyone know if there is a difference in housing between the 300zx R200 (3.7 gear) the 75 280z R200 (3.54 gear)? Or is the only difference the ring and pinion gear and inner stub axles? 

Thank you!

I don't think anyone sells a kit. The ball bearing at the front is Nissan only last I checked. The pinion and carrier bearings might be something you can source elsewhere, but I only bought factory. I just bought pinion and side seals for my diff from www.zcardepot.com. Pinion seal was factory, sides were in a Timken box.

There is a difference in the early and later pinion bearings. I couldn't tell you part numbers, but IIRC the tapered roller pinion bearings in the later years were larger. Ball bearing was the same. I think all the carrier bearings are the same too, but probably best to pull them and order by the part number.

Shouldn't need to reshim anything if you do change the bearings, but if you do need to adjust backlash because you're adding an aftermarket LSD for example, Jay Zinc (on FB, not sure if he's a member here) sells a carrier bearing shim kit.

I would suggest that if your diff isn't making noise, or if the bearings don't look worn it's probably not worth it. You'll spend $500 or $600 (more?) on parts and it won't make the car any faster. These diffs run hot so they might be damaged if they were raced, but if it's out of a street car they rarely go bad. 

Well, you post something and then look afterwards, and this is what you get. Whole kit, less the side shims. $365. Note that it says same for 280Z, ZX and 300ZX:
https://zcardepot.com/collections/rear-axle-and-differential/products/r200-differential-rebuild-bearing-seal-kit-280z-280zx-300zx

Edited by JMortensen